I had 3 major problems, the 1st was a blown side light bulb which I had a spare, the 2nd a wiper blade broke off and I was lucky enough to ponce 1 off another herald, nice man ( I THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN ) the 3rd is I now have £120+ of spares to find a home in the garage   ;D

I had a really good time doing the RBRR, it should be on the NHS as a cure for depression and stuff, recommend it to every one.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I learnt was put more kit in the car than you'd ever take plus some big friends so you can see what your suspension can take.
Mine was practically on the floor or at least the exhaust and subframe mount bolts were(are everyones bolts really long? :-/)
It wasnt that there's anything wrong with my suspension just it was to low when fully laden.

We carried a fair alot of spare's and tools and yes the PI did sit alot lower than normal, but with the weight in the back seem to handle alot better ;D. As a first timer's doing the RBRR, think I was more concern in not finishning so could say we packed every thing we could think of ;D but not the kitchen sink ;) one spare we did not take was any spare wheel bearings though I had checked the wheels bearing a week before.

David.

Big thanks to the usual suspects for organising the whole thing, i had a top weekend. Daves spitfire performed without a hitch and i didn't get too wet either.

Commiserations to Dave and Jason for not finishing. It certainly wasn't for lack of trying.

Failure rate was certainly a bit high this time though.

We followed (briefly!) a number of Spitfires with a truly alarming amount of negative camber.
I cannot imagine that they are set up that way, so they must have been carrying a large amount of gear.
As no one needs more than four pairs of panties and T-shirts for the RBRR, and tooth brushes (if you took one) don't weigh that much, it had to be spares.
That much negative must have affected road holding and caused assymetric tyre wear.
There is a lot to be said for shared spares loads - you take a wheel bearing and spanners, I'll take the jack - and other cooperation, for which the RBRR is noted anyway.
So a breakdown of the breakdowns, please Jason, when you have time.
John
(PS Not that this matters to an Acclaim!)

JohnD wrote:
We followed (briefly!) a number of Spitfires with a truly alarming amount of negative camber. I cannot imagine that they are set up that way, so they must have been carrying a large amount of gear.......

I'll take the jack...

I always thought the Spitfire owners carried a trolley jack in the boot to improve the handling  ;D

Archived