willows40 wrote:
talking of keeping momentum up you should do it in an 2000 auto a lot of the time i was the one holding everbody else up going up hills but trying to stop it when coming down was even more fun.

Pah! I laugh at your auto Andy, what you really want is an Atlas then you will understand the meaning of momentum management - hills are "interesting" with no synchro in first or second and a gear lever that feels like it's connected to the box somewhere near the diff! Also, there's the buttock clenching experience that is cornering then the trouser soiling moment when you realise that you're on one of those 180 degree slip road turns and you are carrying far too much speed into it - that was humbling.

Mind you, there's also the satisfaction of changing gear with your elbow (it's an Atlas thing) and bringing a smile to everyone's face. We especially liked the road crew near Penzance who all stopped to look and mouth the words "What the F*&%$% is that?" whilst giving us the thumbs up too  8)

Sports car it ain't but experience it most definatly is!

Well done in getting round by the way, I know what an achievement it was - we just can't keep you down can we ;-)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lows - the crap weather, the smeary screen that defied all cleaning, the speedbumps at Didcot and the realisation that I'd lost my wallet last night between plough and home!

Highs - well lots of them - but really top moment was driving into the plough at the finish, seconded by the landlady at the plough finding my soggy and run over wallet in the car park this morning!  Lunch at the plough today!

Wicked time had, thanks Tim et all for a job well done!

mikeyb

Alex wrote:
Steve now I know who you are!!
We were chatting at breakfast at JOG.
Glad you had fun even though you had very little sleep well done,hope your Dads feeling better now!
Alex

Bruce, Alex good to meet you both! He's been the docs they've given him 2 weeks off work and antibiotics! We couldn't bear to give up. Shame about the Atlas it was doing really well and never seemed that far behind! Hope the car is fixable by the way Alex.

Steve

willows40 wrote:
talking of keeping momentum up you should do it in an 2000 auto a lot of the time i was the one holding everbody else up going up hills but trying to stop it when coming down was even more fun.

Momentum is the name of the game in a 2000. I loved the momentum that made it possible to keep it at 95mph up a steep hill on a dual carriageway (forgot where - but it was lovely keeping the revs up around 4000 and only have a slight pink.

Momentum also important in roundabouts, though generally I find the mk1 2000 to have great torque - espicially when you take use of the hidden powerband discovered by Bruce - remove carpet and get the speeder even further down .

We had no windscreen issues - Steve had prepareded the screen with rain-X (or whatever the name was) We hardly used the wipers - all rain just vanished as soon as it had hit the glass. Wonderfull stuff.

Cheers

Absolutely brilliant, super roads and great people. The organisers Tim et al have got my thanks for all they did - even if I did manage to fill up with Diesel in Oswestry :( and traveled home courtesy of the AA relay service. Tess & I are already looking forward to the 2010 event and intend to complete it next time....

A really great event, something I should have taken part in before now. Time to start thinking about what we'll use next time. Bill G's Dolomite went very well all the way round, and was a very enjoyable drive,  but a big six really beckons for 2010........
Cheers,
Bill.

Cookie & Bodders - I will remember that for a long time - was a lot of fun.

I could have gone a bit quicker if our tyres hadn't been over inflated by the tyre shop that morning and still feeling a bit green. Having said that - a few more PSI meant that my arms weren't aching after 48 hours...

Thanks to Tim, Jason and Nigel etc for all the organising - being a bit part organiser of the RBRR I know the amount of stuff that�s involved and it's immense.

Cookie & Bodders - I will remember that for a long time - was a lot of fun.

I could have gone a bit quicker if our tyres hadn't been over inflated by the tyre shop that morning and still feeling a bit green. Having said that - a few more PSI meant that my arms weren't aching after 48 hours...

Thanks to Tim, Jason and Nigel etc for all the organising - being a bit part organiser of the RBRR I know the amount of stuff that�s involved and it's immense.

Ah yes- momentum. Was uttered by me as we steamed onto a roundabout, hoping for a sharpish exit: "Use the momentum!" there-after it was a by-word for tasty driving ;D

Nick_B. wrote:

Momentum is the name of the game in a 2000. I loved the momentum that made it possible to keep it at 95mph up a steep hill on a dual carriageway (forgot where - but it was lovely keeping the revs up around 4000 and only have a slight pink.
Momentum also important in roundabouts, though generally I find the mk1 2000 to have great torque - espicially when you take use of the hidden powerband discovered by Bruce - remove carpet and get the speeder even further down .
Cheers

On behalf of myself, Jason and Ruth, a big THANK YOU to Tim and Jason for organising the RBRR 2008.  Great event.

I'd like to also thank the army of marshalls and helpers, some of whom were out in the middle of the night (in appalling weather conditions) to sign us in.  There's dedication!

'... although whoever said they got caught up with by Bancroft? What were you in - a wheelbarrow'  
Greeks, you cheeky sod! I have my moments you know!

2000s no speed-pah! Have a look at Nigel Gair's car-alright its modded-but what a machine!

Simple cure, get a 2.5 S lump c/w a j type o'd box no issues and no 'Momentum' required. Must say that I am syill amazed when people rave about the big saloons following a RBRR-one only has to look at the entry list to realise that they are very very suitable for the RBRR-Regular RBRR'ers are not daft! However never discount the Dolly Sprint or a TR7 fitted with a Sprint lump or V8 or a Stag or a ..............................

I'll be in the GT6 next time. More of a challenge.

timbancroft61 wrote:
'... although whoever said they got caught up with by Bancroft? What were you in - a wheelbarrow'  
Greeks, you cheeky sod! I have my moments you know!

i know - only kidding. (I remember the drive back from Malvern after you won GT6 of the show or something ;) )

Now that I'm home all safe and sound over the pond.  Once again, thanks again to all who did so much to make it all happen.   Again I owe Jason big time for the pick up, stay and drop off at Heathrow.  To Carl who took great care of DollyRoo and made sure she made the run.  A big thanks to my crew who took the chance of going along, putting me up and putting up with me.  Never thought their could be a better crew than I was part of last time but, This year with Bill and Karen proved no matter who the crew is they and the run is one of the most enjoyable things you can do with a Triumph!   Don't know if I'll do the next one but, I have found a new keeper for DollyRoo so you might just see her next time.  Thanks to all who took part and made me feel part of a great bunch of Triumph owners!

By the way Bill, why think small?  Anyone got a Stag for sale?
Me thinks Karen want's one!

I would like to add my thanks. The organisation was spot on, everything seemed to go to plan except me! I would also like to thank all those who offered help and assistance, and especially to "penelope pitstop and compact pussycat" for coming to our aid!
It was indeed a great event, and I really want to do the next one, with a tad less excitement!
Now, what car.....

We'll do an analysis of DNF reasons, I'd like to collate the problem info too - what did people find went wrong, what spares were needed etc. At the moment we don't do much more than an experienced guess at what will be needed so it could be useful to do a little statistical analysis, mainly to try and offer advice on car preparation. I have in my mind that we could create a service schedule or put owners on notice to pay attention to particular components in their cars. Of course people can ignore it or feel it's patronising but the purpose is to try and ensure as many cars finish as start :-)
There are some failures that you just can't do much about, some spares you couldn't carry - for example a broken crank is a bit of a difficult thing to fix at the side of the road :-(
We'll have a meeting soon to do the post mortem on the event, what went well, what went wrong, etc. Tim, Nigel and I are interested in improving things.
In fact it would be really good to hear from participants what they felt could be better next time. I'd prefer not to air the dirty laundry in public here on the Forum, especially as critical comments  can often get misinterpreted or threads hijacked. So if you were on the event and have a suggestion please do email Tim or I direct - don't expect an instant response.
If you prefer to have a chat, give me a bell - I know Tim is busy at work at the moment and I will be off to India in 10 days but neither of us mind an evening call to chat. I think our meeting will happen when I get back - we all have taken too much time from other areas to run the RBRR and so it's payback time at work, home with the family!

Jason wrote:
I'd like to collate the problem info too - what did people find went wrong, what spares were needed etc. At the moment we don't do much more than an experienced guess at what will be needed so it could be useful to do a little statistical analysis, mainly to try and offer advice on car preparation.

I think that's a very good idea. This is supposed to be a reliability run after all so anything that helps improve that reliability is a good thing to come out of it. You probably stand a good chance of getting some useful statistics - when else are you going to find that number of cars doing that sort of mileage all at once (oh, yeah, the 10CR ;D but my point is still the same). It will depend on a good method of collecting accurate reports on problems though.

Archived