Just got home from the RBRR, grubby, propably a bit smelly and very very tired, BUT had a really great time and a great feeling of achievement.

So would like to thanks all those who organised (Tim and Jason and all the rest of the team) and all how took part. We (myself and Libby) were made to feel really welcome, even though we were "RBRR" virgins, by everyone, organisors and RBRR'ers.

Oh and special thanks for the cakes and tea!

BTW Spent the few miles from The Plough back to Cambridge discussing what was good and bad about the Herald and what we need to do to the GT6 ready for the RBRR and the 10CR.......

Mike and Libby team 64
1968 Herald 13/60 now with 1500 engine which ran perfectly with no problems at all!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep agreed! big thankyou to all the organisers,
Tim and Jason in particular as I saw them on the way round and know the work never really ended.

I've had so much fun,I've met more people from this forum and now know its full of nutters :P.....ok me to!

I'd really have liked to see Dave and Jason bring the Atlast home but well done to you both fantastic effort!!...in fact well done to all I know how hard it can be to get ready then get round.

If you didnt finish then I'm sorry for you, if you did well done However fantastic effort from everyone!!

Just woke up and still can't believe I did it after breaking down last time with the same car. It's now proved itself after two years work to restoration and prep. Fantastic run and thanks to Alex and Mikey B for technical assistance before and during.     As ever, I take my hat off to the organisers.

Nick J.

Having marshalled 2 years ago at the Plough :)and getting the bug for the RBRR, having done it this year, fantastic event!!! ;D car 35 performed spotlessly 2.5 PI,
A big thanks to Nigel, Tim, Jason, etc, to the  CT volunteers and people involved A well organised event!!!! :) :).
and thanks to my co-driver John ;)

WELL DONE CLUB TRIUMPH A EXCELLENT EVENT!!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK  ;D

Yes, big thanks from team Dove for all the organisation, cakes, rounds of applause etc. Also a massive thanks to the Atlas Van crew for the loan of a spark plug at 4am on Saturday morning. Got a real buzz and sense of achievement from it - thanks all!

Thanks to the organisers (Tim, Jason and all the marshalls) and special thanks to Doug Foreman (and Katie, Clive and John) for getting us going again after my botched attempts to resurect my failing car. The car was running again but misfiring so we had to call it a day and struggle home. Doug you were very helpful as ever and I really appreciate your assistance. I am hoping the continuing problems with my car are down to the points adjustment in the dizzy you donated. I should have checked the points gap because if that isn't the problem then the engine has some serious issues!!  :'(

The car was misfiring and would not accelerate the temperature was constantly a fair amount above 'normal'. I will do some checks and see whether I can get the car running properly before throwing any money at a permanent igniton solution.

A fantastic event which Kaye and I enjoyed despite our inability to finish.

Cheers to one and all, Neil (and Kaye)

Morning all. Feeling much better now after a solid 11 hours sleep! Jo is still zzing after getting up with the kids at 7.30am. Delighted and proud to have maintained our 100% completion in our 5th RBRR, this time in the Stag. A few minor problems (including a breakdown 12 miles after leaving home) but all sorted on the hoof, and the car behaved itself very well overall.

I found this the hardest RBRR yet. Probably didnt help that we both went into it very tired (kids up in the night several times the night before), and we both came down with the lurgy part on Saturday morning. But those roads in N Scotland and Wales make it all worthwhile. Smashing cakes at Pimperne, as well as a very warm welcome indeed. Fascinating tour around the lifeboat too.

BIG THANKS to all of the marshalls and helpers who made this event possible. BIG THANKS also to the organising committee, especially Tim, Nigel and Jason. There are always eventualities that nobody can plan for, but as far as we were concerned, it was very well organised, and thoroughly enjoyable! Roll on 2010 RBRR!

Mark and Jo McLean

You know, I was feeling a little dejected after we broke the Atlas and had a long slow recovery to Canleys followed by a long slow train journey back to Reading but getting texts, emails and messages like these has perked me up a lot :-)

There's much to learn for all of us after this RBRR and so I'm looking forward to the post mortem and to understanding the root causes of stuff that went wrong, right or could just go better.

As you've probably guessed, my first DNF in one of these events has not put me off :-)

Just like to add our bit and say many thanks to tim and jason and all the people that make the rbrr the best motoring event  by far.
thanks guys and girls we had another great weekends driving. we are already looking forward to 2010.

jon and tina
car 52 blue stag

A BIG THANK YOU to all involved in organising what a is in reality a massive event, for a (relatively) small car club :).
First time in the RBRR and what an absolute blast! Couldn't have wished for better company- Steve A and Nick B were supportive and encouraging all the way around. 48 hours is a lot of time to spend couped up in a Triumph.  Perticulat thanks to Steve for allowing me and Nick to drive his car in the 'pressing-on' manner, without complaint or criticism :).
Just how many memories- Chasing the TR5 and TR6 through  the deserted A68 with its 'Blind Summits', getting all excited at the glourious sight of Tim B's wonderful saloon barrelling up behind us on the downhill section of the A9, as he was alongside the white van behind us and then floating off downhill toward Perth( 8), steaming along through Central Wales with 5 other Big saloons and a TR5, the Callington road and then across Dartmoor- the list goes on and on.... :)

It was great to meet people for the 1st time and then share this event throughout its length with them.  Those boys in that Vitesse with the camo netting and the hood down all the way- Team Shorts were a great laugh. I could go on, but I'll let others add their thoughts.
Oh and yes- those cakes were incredible Doug!- I couldn't believe the effort all the support staff went to :). THANKS AGAIN.

Wayne_S wrote:

Also a massive thanks to the Atlas Van crew for the loan of a spark plug at 4am on Saturday morning. Got a real buzz and sense of achievement from it - thanks all!

Not a problem, the spark plugs were free but you wait until you get the bill for delivery!

Really glad you got round and thanks for stopping by when we were wheel-less on the side of the road, we didn't get much further until the otherside collapsed and it was game over.  :-/

Another 'Triumph' for Club Triumph .

My Dolly performed brilliantly and was strangely better after  I drained the tank of Diesel! I was a bit slow after that, carrying around 30 litres of petrol oil mix in shop bought containers in the boot! anyone need a spare fuel can or six?. My co driver Lee is an advanced driver and gave me a three day driving lesson. I was much faster at the end. I am sure he can be hired for a price!
My steering rack finally gave up the ghost and has more arthritis in its joints than I do . At the start I had two very good Michellin tyres on the front. by the end one was barely legal and the other was showing steel. ATS bravely attempted to reset the tracking but it mysteriously re set itself completely after 6 different attempts. After some head scratching and diagnosis I have been busy on the Rimmer's website and will now have those new poly bushes/ball joints and steering rack that I have promised myself. Then I can go even faster!

Great Event, thanks to Tim, Jason, Nigel and all the Marshall's and cake makers. I have finally had a Scot's Pie at Morrison's and I did not like It! It was lovely to see all the shiny triumphs and it was clear from the amount of retirements that perhaps some could do with some more use prior to such a gruelling test, so leave the modern one at home get out more in the old one!

Thanks again

Darren

Dolomite 1500HL (Brown) AMK634T (known as Amy). Car 89 2008

As another RBRR first timer I would also like to ad my thanks to the committee, organisers & marshalls who made this great event possible.

We both had a great time although i don't think anything could have prepared us for the sheer exhaustion. The route was great & we saw some great roads. The car behaved impeccably but we retired at Pimperne due to very bad vibration through the steering. I think i caused this by driving over a kerb at Gledrid services. Couldn't see anything obviously damaged but as we went on the symptoms got worse & worse so for safety's sake we decided to stop at the point closest to home. A great shame but it didn't spoil our enjoyment of this fantastic event.

Again, many thanks to all who made it happen.

Can't say thanks enough for you guys giving me the chance to experience this whole weekend so I'll excuse my language in advance and simple say it was fucking excellent.

Wayne_S wrote:
Yes, big thanks from team Dove for all the organisation, cakes, rounds of applause etc. Also a massive thanks to the Atlas Van crew for the loan of a spark plug at 4am on Saturday morning. Got a real buzz and sense of achievement from it - thanks all!

Ahh, so now I know who was in the Dove. Mine was the white 13/60 behind MOE when we went on the Round Roundabout Reliability Run on the way to the TR Office. ;D

A very big thank you to Tim, Nigel A, Jason, all the marshals and crews for making this another excellent RBR. Nigel Gairs blue 2000 mk2 performed faultlessly, save for a tweak to the carb jets. Thanks to Nigel for all the prep to the car and to Andy Everett, who like me, somewhat jumped in with Nigel at the last minute. I hope all involved in the three or four incidents are ok and that the cars are fixed and back on the road soon.

Hope the staff at Lands End, get a good ticking off for failing to order enough food. 10-15 people didnt get any breakfast, as they were told, " there isnt any left ". They only had two years to prepare !! Pimperne on the other hand was a delight once again. Many thanks to the cake makers. All the pieces I tried were yummy...

Great to see lots of old friends again. Looking forward already to the dinner in March and the 10 countries run in September.

well done again Tim, Nigel A, Jason, all the marshals and crews for making this another excellent R.B.R.R. a special thanks to the driver of the Stag that stopped and got on the floor in the rain and tied up my exhaust so i could carry on to Lands End,and also to Steve(and his brother)in the other 1500 SE(hope you enjoyed your rally bit through Wales) Big thanks to my crew Dave(co-driver)  and my Son who managed to sleep 3/4 of the trip,finally got home about 02:30 this morning after the R.A.C came out and fix my exhaust AGAIN!! after it fell off one stop from the finish and we had to drive to the finish line with no exhaust from the front box(my what a noise that was).Unfortunately the car has suffered badly and i have to make the decision to keep it and spend ££££££££'s or send it away to sleep forever to a place we can't visit :o

Martin (car33) Dolomite 1500SE

Well just got back! we stayed at a Travelodge last night and boy did I sleep!
As dito with the comments above Thanks to all who organised this Great Event! I know you have done this without payment and it is a large task to undertake and run!  :)

Also a very big thanks to all that took part, came out to cheer us on! Especially The CT/TSSC Crew who came out in the dark and braved the weather to provide Bacon Butties and coffee! Superb and Thanks!
The Ladies and Gents at Pimperne Hall what a welcome Team shorts were very pleased to have the warm welcome and especially the tea and Cakes! The best cake I have ever had! :B

But most of all I would like to thank Steve Thompson for letting me drive his GT6 around Britain! I hope I can return to favour!

Thanks
Rob

Archived