The title of thread says it all!

I'm trying to put together  and "unofficial" list of fuels stations just off the motorway sections of the route that don't pull your pants down and spank you for fuel- feel free to PM me suggestions - an example being the new  24 hr shell/budgens petrol station  just off the M5 at Bridgwater -placed in the middle  of the M5 stretch which has  Gordarno Sedgemoor , Bridgwater and Exeter services all of which are operated by Moto and the like and have people standing by on the forecourt waiting to pull your pants down

whats wrong with a Jerry can!!!
or are there that many spares on board, no room for one.!!!!

Yes it is a ripp off, coming up frae  Stonehenge show, pulled in for some GoGo Juice, and made a quick sharp exit, no way going to pay 1.55.   Went onto Penrith and got it at Rhegged, 1 38 for 97 Oct
If evey one by passed them, then they soon drop the prices.

ohhhh hoo,s the diff coming on. Pics of inside of old one please.

M

thescrapman wrote:
Andy

We downloaded supermarket POI's for a sat nav a few years ago. That helped. But you have to do teh sums and work out how much fuel you use dropping off route and returning to it against the increased cost on route.

Cheers

Colin

Fair point -the bridgwater one is ideal as its only a mile off the Mway  https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=ta6+4rr&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4872062696ebbab7:0xa1f2ab2440cb1c99,Bridgwater+TA6+4RR&gl=uk&ei=VKrIT7zKAtGu8QPhqY20CQ&oi=geocode_result&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA

There is a Morrisons just off the M18 Doncaster, about a 3mile round trip at most off the A1M and much cheaper than filling at Blythe services the first control stop. Currently 131.9 per litre. Not sure about super unleaded there though.
I will certainly be going there if anyone wants to tag along.

Colin.

This would be useful for the route pack? the best place around the M5 Gordano service station is actually just of junction 21 at Weston super mare where there is a morrisons and Sainsbury supermarket, most sat navs tell you where the supermarkets are for cheap fuel, but as said previously it is a gamble against time and fuel used. I dread to think how may tanks of fuel I will need...

Please note that we only use motorway services (Blyth, Tebay and Gordano) at times or locations when/where suitable venues that can withstand a visit of 100no. cars are not available. Tebay is owned by a farmers co-operative and I think offers reasonably priced fuel.

The other places we visit that have fuel facilities will be competively priced for their vicinity: Morrison's Garage, Stirling, Gledrid Services, Oswestry and White House Services, A30 Okehampton. Part of the deal that we make with these 3 locations is on the understanding that crews will buy fuel from them. Morrison's opens specially for us and it would be nice to use the PFS at the garage, most crews do buy from there.

As for providing a list of cheap fuel, surely that is up to crews to sort and arrange. Andy has kindly told me that he will provide a list a cheap PFSs, and we will forward this list if required. As some of these will be off route, I do wonder if teams will have time to go and find them?

There are THREE services areas at Tebay!
The ones with their own slip roads, on and off the Motorway, and the J38 Truck stop.  Access to the latter is via J38 (!!), and it's just off the roundabout that the slip road takes you to.  No worse acces than the service areas.   It's is a Truck stop, and I don't know - never looked - if it could take a lot of cars, but some reports say cheaper petrol

There's another Truck stop on the M6, Truckhaven at Carnforth, also accessable via that junction, No.35. It's between the Burton-in-Kendal area (North bound only) and Lancaster.

No doubt there are others.
IMHO, truck stops can offer better value than the branded 'on-Mway' service areas.  Worth a look?

John

On a similar vein as John, if pop off at the Penrith Junction on the M6 and follow the A6 to the next roundabout, then take the first exit there is a garage immediately to the left, and another (Shell) about 1/4 mile up the road, both far cheaper than M'way services.

Also, if you come off at J42 (most southern Carlisle junction) and follow the A6 south, you meet another Petrol station just after you get into Penrith.

BEWARE!!!

It is a while since I last used these petrol stations, so I have no idea on when they are open or closed!!

Other than that, they are favourite stop off points for me whenever I come up or down the road.

What are people like for petrol around Glasgow normally? (Or Edinburgh for that matter) I am more than happy to keep my eyes skinned as I travel around for easily accessible petrol stations if it will help others.

Cheers,

Phil

I produced a where to get petrol in Scotland document complete with maps for the last RBRR and I'll be updating it slightly for this year's event too.

It covered from crossing the border on the A68 up to John O'Groats, that's the part of the route covered in darkness when 24 hour petrol stations are a bit thin on the ground.

The document will be available to download from the Forum closer to the event.

Jim.

I agree with Tim that most the stops are competitive and its up to us to make the choice if we think we have time etc to duck off and find cheaper fuel personally the ones that I will be planning not to fill up at will be Blythe and Godamnawfull services (Gordarno)

There's both an Asda (CA3 0JQ) and a Morrisons (CA3 0QZ) near the Carlisle North A7 junction currently showing 129.7 & 129.9 respectively on PP.  However, on your way up Todhills on the M74 just a couple of miles further North is at 131.9 so not worth the diversion to save a pound if time is at all tight.  On your way back south go straight past the Todhills services, it'll be £kerching (different company) and come off at Carlisle North if your time of day permits.

Morrisons - http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Store-finder/Store-Details/?type=qs&value=kingstown&recordid=44#petrolstation
Asda - petrol station times aren't online so best call