• 2 weeks later...

timbancroft61 wrote:
Also, I would love to see a Standard Vanguard of any type take part.

Lee Godfrey and I were talking about an Ensign estate at Ferry Meadows yesterday and how one with an injected 2.5 but no visual outward signs would make a great RBRR car.

Colin

My current daily driver is a 948, Iv'e just come back from the machine shop in it having collected a couple of heads, and blocks.

It wouldn't faze me doing a RBRR in it.

To be honest I would prefer it to the larger engine'd cars Iv'e done it in the past as its not much of a challenge in TR's, Stags, and V8 Saloons.

A number plate dealer bought it from us off an advert on the Bay.

Bearing in mind it hadn't been anywhere near the road in over 4 years, was not MOT'd, or in anyway road legal I thought he was taking a bit of a risk driving it from here to the South Coast!

Apparently it got there OK, and better still it 'passed' an MOT the same day ;D

A week or two later it re-appeared on the Bay at something like 8 times what he paid for it from us.

At some later stage he tried to get the number off it, and fell out with his local DVLA office in the process.

They took the V5C off him.

We then had to buy it back off him, and pay to have it transported back here (but I'm not bitter).

Dave, the last time I saw it (last year) you told me you were gonna brake it up for parts.  As you remember the first time I saw it my wife was with me and said I could not have it even if it were free!   Shame really as it could have (and still could) be crowd please'er.  Some of my local club members were hoping I would take it and make it a club project.  Problem is none of us have anywhere to store it.  I would like to see it saved, put in a museum like Coventry or even the TSSC one.  I admit I did want it (and still do) but have to be real, even I do not have enough garage room!  Now if I were to hit the lottery?   Or if we moved next to your shop, then I think it would be saved.  

I still would like to see someone do the RBRR in a Mayflower.  That would be cool!  Yes, I would go as a co-driver.  

Slimboyfat wrote:

Apparently it got there OK, and better still it 'passed' an MOT the same day ;D

It would have been interesting seeing how it fitted in the MOT bay... perhaps it didn't..  ;)

He must have used that other 20ft long Herald he had to get the MOT...  :)

Was her ever likely to get the plate off a car that was known so well and easily searched for on the internet?

I think not!

Commiserations on landing up with the bill, and it isn't even registered anymore.

The stretch would be a great RBRR car. Just think, you could strap a couple of those giant inflatable banana things they tow behind speed boats to the side and float from one side of a loch to the other. Do it with Jason and you wouldn't even need air tanks to inflate them quickly, just a bit of pipe and a funnel.

Goody wrote:
Dave, the last time I saw it (last year) you told me you were gonna brake it up for parts.    

Bill

It got no further than whipping off the headlight cowls (long ones getting rare!) to go towards one of the Courier projects, and one of the HS6 pancake filters for the Courier we have on the road.

Past that I still can't bring myself to take it apart. We had such a great time driving it, specially on the first 10CR.

That drive into Nice, and parking up in that sea front car park. The drive around the GP circuit in Monaco and taking a wrong turn, and having to back out of a one way street into traffic. The run up through the Alps, and someone taking us off piste down that mountain full of hairpins I would have struggled to get a normal Herald down.

Jason crashing it. Jason trying to take out a fuel pump in front of a crowd of German tourists. Jason being in charge (or not) of the midnight sleeper stretch on that (thankfully) deserted French road.

Finally chasing Barry in his Acclaim for what seemed like hundreds of miles, dueling for the lead on the roads back to the ferry.

I just can't bring myself to do it.