• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought.

If a Moss or a Hurricane are able to do the RBRR, would a TVR 2500, also with a Triumph engine, be eligible?

Neither the Moss or Hurricane were part of the Standard Triumph group, so does this open the door to other Triumph engined cars?

Conversely, does a Triumph with a non Triumph engine, therefore, become ineligible?

Discuss.

Jim.

MWG445 wrote:
Just a thought.

If a Moss or a Hurricane are able to do the RBRR, would a TVR 2500, also with a Triumph engine, be eligible?

Neither the Moss or Hurricane were part of the Standard Triumph group, so does this open the door to other Triumph engined cars?

Conversely, does a Triumph with a non Triumph engine, therefore, become ineligible?

Discuss.

Jim.

Also remembered that there was a TVR 1300M utilising a 1296cc Spitfire engine.  

Not much chance of seeing one though as only 15 were produced.

Jim.

MWG445 wrote:

Also remembered that there was a TVR 1300M utilising a 1296cc Spitfire engine.  

Not much chance of seeing one though as only 15 were produced.

Jim.

I don't know about the hurricane but the Moss is not just a Triumph engined car it uses triumph chassis, gearbox, axle/diff, suspension. The only thing that is changed is the actual bodywork.
I'm guessing the TVR had a bespoke TVR built chassis and suspension and just used the Triumph engine.
So not quite the same

1684 wrote:
Next you will be asking if a late MG Midget can enter.

oops just saw the comment from Darren. For some reason my pc did not show all comments.
I think if a car was manufactured as say a TVR or MG then no. kit cars are different, although they should use more than just the engine, they should share the same chassis.

• 4 months later...

Clougher,

Not sure if a Herald S has done the event, but a Herald 948 has done the event.

I think a Herald 948 did the 2000 event, but I have a feeling that a 1200 engine had been put into the car. Just checked my records and 5 948cc herald cars have successfully completed the event.

Dave Pearson and Jason Chinn nearly completed the event using a Standard Atlas van, they failed in Dorset when a wheel bearing failed, this van was I believe the slowest vehicle to have taken part in modern times. So slow that some wag at a stop called the van a Standard Atlast- extremely funny!

Timings for the event are based upon the basis that a Herald 948 can take part. To do the event in such a vehicle, I think it would mean that the crew would have to get a wriggle on and not spend too much time chatting, drinking tea or snoozing at the Controls.

Why not enter this year, you'd make the 'Reserve' list at present, so no worries?

8668 wrote:
Would love to do this in my 948 S 8) That one will have to wait though, maybe 2016?
Has a Herald S ever competed before? Fine line between them and the normal 948's, but still, would be interesting to know!

948 Herald ........ used to rally one back in the 1960s and 70s DRU388C (though a 1959 re-reg from the Channel islands).  

Tuned engine (home gas flowed head on twin carbs), flipped over rear springs, bigger wheels and tyres, rally seats and instruments.  Great rally tool with a reasonable turn of speed and decent handling ........ and fuel consumption reasonable even at engine thrashing speeds for rallying.

Great fun (dance)

MUT

• 2 weeks later...