Hi all,

We are hoping to add a couple of new stops into the RBRR and thought it would be a good idea to ask forum members if they know of any places within the following localities? Bit of local knowledge being needed.

All controls will need
A) A fair bit of space, able to cope with say 30-40 cars and ideally those that will be visited at night should not be near residential areas.
B) Have lighting, obviously only those visited when its dark.

Northumberland/Scottish Border. Time of visit: Friday night/Sat Morn: 00.00 to 02.00hrs.

Scotland between Perth and Inverness, not too far from the A9: Time of visit will be approx 04.00 - 06.00hrs Saturday morn.

Lancaster vicinity: Need to replace the souless M6 services: 21.00- 23.00

Rhayader/Llandrindod Wells/Bulith Wells, Wales: Sunday Morn: Approx 02.00 - 04.00.

Bristol: We would love to replace the Gordano stop as well, bit drab and lacking in atmosphere. Might well push into Somerset/Devon border for a stop (m5 or A30).

At pres. we hope to have the following stops:
1. Crews Hill
2. Blyth Services
3. Nothumberland/Scottish Borders
4. Ed. Airport
5. Southern Highlands on the A9
6. JOG
7. Conon Bridge
8. Stirling
9. Lancaster
10. Oswestry
11. Powys, Wales
12. Bristol
13. Cornwall
14. Darrtmoor
15. Dorset
16. West Sussex or Oxfordshire
17. Crews Hill

Looks like we are gonna need plenty of Marshals!!

Please pm me if you have an idea about a stop location that will satisfy the above criteria.

The best RBRR stops have been places like: Pimperne, Badgers Holt, Bishops Garage, Corbridge, Conon Bridge etc, ideally places like that, but obviously those that are visited in the middle of the night cannot be expected to be atmospheric!!

MikeyB wrote:
This cropped up in discussion at the Plough last night.  Dave Jones suggested in conversation that we deviate off the M6, stop in/around Liverpool then nip through the Mersea Tunnel into Wales.    

Just a thought!

One hell of a deviation and not a lot to see. The mersey tunnel comes out in Birkenhead, then a drive through Elesmere port? You could always call in at James Paddocks in Chester? I am sure they would assist?

On another note!
Tebay Services are a lot better, Better food and refreshments, They have won a few awards for their services! Or would you be looking at another stop no services?

timbancroft61 wrote:

Scotland between Perth and Inverness, not too far from the A9: Time of visit will be approx 04.00 - 06.00hrs Saturday morn.

Possibles ...

1.  Huge car park at House of Bruar (Blair Atholl North of Pitlochry)
2. Perthshire Visitor Centre at Bankfoot - perhaps too close to residential - haven't been there for a while.  However has the advantage of a well known Scottish Triumph Parts man who'll be snoring away just up the road ..... ;-)
3.  Ballinluig Truck Stop - Pretty sure fuel is 24 Hours and the chap who runs the Motorgrill might just be tempted to open up at anti-social hours if there was a prospect of a bit of business.

Ballanluig is not very big and is usually full of sleeping truck drivers who will appreciate 100 loud Triumphs in the middle of the night waking them up.

I looked at it a while back and discounted it for that very reason.

Don't think that Ballanluig is 24 hour fuel either.

Last time I checked out the area, the only 24 hour fuel stops were Perth, Pitlochry, Aviemore and Inverness.

Getting marshals above Perth at that time of night (about 3 in the morning) will also be difficult.  Not too many CT members in the vicinity.

Kinross Services on the M90 make a better proposition, fuel, food (sort of), no residential properties and plenty of parking are what we need.

Edinburgh Airport may be close but it doesn't offer fuel or food, which means one additional stop has to be made.

To take on Kinross Services would probably mean losing Edinburgh but it does reduce the mileage to John O'Groats slightly.

Another possibility is the Skiach Services on the A9 above Inverness at Evanton which has fuel, parking, no residential worries and is a truck stop, though larger than Ballanluig.

It would be a good opportunity to stop the speed merchants tanking up the A9 at three figure speeds and arriving at the Seaview Hotel three hours before the control opens!

No, I'm not a killjoy, but the road is.  One of the most dangerous roads in Scotland.

Jim.

MWG445 wrote:

No, I'm not a killjoy, but the road is.  One of the most dangerous roads in Scotland.

Jim.

Although far from local, I've driven the A9 on more than a few occasions - my opinion is that it's frightfully dangerous during the daytime, mainly due to the fact that a lot of it is not dualled but it's wide enough for a chancy overtake.  Because of the sheer weight of traffic and the impatience of some driverd, many chances are indeed taken, some with disasterous consequences.

However, in the wee small hours, with no traffic, it seems to me to be an relatively safe, fast way to get from A to B?

It's not so much the road that is dangerous - it's the idiots that drive along it!   :(

The A9 has a lot of poor junctions where cars have to cross the central reservation.

Many of the accidents have occured at these locations.

At night, with cars travelling at high speed, many folk, usually strangers to the area, misjudge the approaching speed of cars on the main carriageway.

The junction at Ballanluig had the highest number of fatalities, even after speed cameras were installed.

This junction has now been improved to remove the hazard but there are many more, including farm accesses that remain.

There's also crosswinds to contend with due to the open nature of the surrounding area.

Two nights ago, we had gusts of 114mph in the Cairngorms!

Up by the Drumochter Pass can be interesting, on occasion.

In addition, we have one further hazard - deer crossing the road.  Not one or two but twenty or thirty.

We have thousands of deer up here to satisfy the shooting brigade.

Like Mike says, it's the drivers on the A9 that are the biggest hazard.

Jim

A bit south of my normal driving roads but what about The Old Stone Trough at Kelbrook as a control stop.

Not far for the local CT members to travel and if food were available, a nice financial thank you to the proprietors for putting up with the usual suspects for so long. ;)

A wee diversion off the M6 down to Skipton and back west through Kelbrook would break up the monotony of the long motorway drive south.

Jim.

Tim,

If you want to push the mileage up to 2000 and allow for a similar amount of time at rest stops at controls, motorway driving will be the only way to achieve it.

Twisty roads may be more fun but your average speed will drop to 45mph as opposed to 60mph on the motorways.

That's roadbook quoted average speeds, by the way.

Mind you, over an hour and a half at Land's End is a long time to hang around.

The marshalls at the control at Sennen needed crowd control measures, such was the queue for a signature. :)

Quote:
As for 'Boyish, good looks'. Mate, don't want to be rude, but they left you years ago!

Oh, I thought that I'd aged rather well.

Jim.

Archived