Failures, missing in action

Velocita Rosso

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, The Last Of The Few landed this morning.
What an exhausting trip
On the mat was a letter from DAS accepting they had failed and done wrong in original advice when ringing in with the original request fro assistance

Further facts of failings now come to light,......a Yorkshire mans dream!
Now the fun begins

Saw scenery in the light, missed in the dark on the run....very nice except it was tipping it down
Numerous tales in the pipeline for future scribings

Quoted from Raider
In discussion / negotiations with the insurance company to repair the car myself and have it brought home
They want to declare it a total loss

I don't get it. The car was on its way back to England and now they want to declare it a total loss (or scrap it) 🤔
Why go to al this trouble for nothing really?

If you can persuade them to go Cat D it will save you some messing about.  Cat C not the end of the world though - it just has to have an ID check, but you have to take it to them and they keep closing "local" offices..... and you can't tax it as you haven't got a log book......

though maybe the system has just changed (again!)
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check/overview

Nick

...hang on a minute, been doing dangerous thinking
Surely the insurance covers mechanical failures and therefore need recovery/repatriation?
You had a damaged radiator , which to my mind was a mechanical failure, and had this not gone then you could have continued with the run ?
The body work had nothing to do with the failure

• 5 months later...

Not a failure as such, as we managed to get all the way round, but some of you may know that we lost the clutch at the start (Aachen). To my shame I have just got around to taking the Type 9 gearbox out. Well, it transpires that the fulcrum pin decided to part company with the bellhousing (Triumph). The spring on the clutch release arm/fork looked decidedly bent and twisted. So, off to blag a bellhousing from Colin (Scrapman) and scouring ebay for a release arm that wasn't worn...got the only one for £16! Checked the clutch driven plate and it seemed ok but on closer inspection it was showing signs of distress (well, it would I suppose after managing the Dolomites mostly in third gear and no clutch) so another butchers on ebay for a Sierra 23 spline 8.5" plate.

Took the MX5 seats out for a clean and to allow some replacement carpet sections and a proper go at extending the gearbox tunnel. With bare floor pans I took a few pics as you never know when you'll need evidence of rust free!

Target for back on the road is 2 April.