A thread for any "top tips" people may have for entrants - here's a few from the "newsletter" I send out to get things going. Please add any others you think are worth passing on to new entrants or people new to long distance endurance driving.

Get an E111 form from a Post office, fill it in and take it with you. This covers how to get medical cover in the EU and Switzerland.

Mobile phone costs are extremely high. If you have a pay as you go make sure you have at least £60 on it!

Fit a car compass – absolutely invaluable as road signs are not as understandable as in England! A compass will quickly let you know if you are headed in the wrong direction and save you time, fuel and stress.

Observe the RBRR rule – if a 10CR car is parked with it’s bonnet up, stop and offer assistance. If it’s parked with it’s bonnet down the crew are resting, brewing up or looking at the stars!

If you are falling behind CUT THE ROUTE! This is not a convoy run through Europe, feel free to cut loose and then re-join the suggested route – there are no penalties involved and it’s not a race or competition.

Obvious to people who know, perhaps, but you need to put +44, or 0044 before any calls to England, or English mobiles ... some people on the 10CR 03 didn't know this and assumed that their mobile wasn't working for international calls. Also make sure your mobile is activated for international calls before setting off!

Do we need chains for the wheels? ,
In Sept.1972 coming back over the Alps from Italy, where the temperatures were in the 80s (old money) with friends in a 'Moggie" van we hit blizzards approaching the Brenner Pass.We looked a sight pushing this old van, trying to keep in on the road,as we were still sporting our Speedos . The pass was eventually closed .

Top Ten Tips?

1. Wear shorts! The creases in the folds by your knee will drive you bonkers because you will  inevitably rest your right knee against the door...and after a few hours it hurts!
2. If in doubt follow the White Tornado, it always seems to know where its going.
3. Take spare fuel.
4. Keep your camera handy for snapping the scene of an accident (proved very useful to me!).
5. Don't worry if you find yourself on your own - you're not lost, just misplaced.
6. Take a co-driver.
7. Be sensible with spares, we should be sharing a list of who is taking what. Got electronic ignition, then take points condenser, wire etc to revert.
8. Do take the plunge in the Med - I didn't and deeply regret it now...although I did paddle in it  around midnight, cos I was on my own while the rest were...anyway i'm not bitter.
9. Book your accommodation, its all right being rufty tufty but when you're scouring the streets late at night with nowhere to stay its not good news particularly as your comfort blanket is back in blighty.
10. Don't drive too close to Greeksy!

• 2 weeks later...

My top tip for the fuel issue is go buy a Routex atlas - http://www.routex.com/index.cfm - £7.50 - it's a truckers atlas and lists all the fuel stops, service areas etc that a long distance lorry driver might need. It covers BP, Agip, Aral, OMV and Statoil stations. Shows all the 24 hours ones, the place with shops, showers etc. There's maps, addresses and phone numbers for them all - it's pretty comprehensive.
I tried to transpose the details into an Autoroute push pin file - it was just too damn difficult and time consuming.
The web site will let you do some planning but the book is the easiest way to use the info.

I wonder how the new chip and pin credit cards we're getting in the UK will work abroad now??

My biggest concern before the inaugural 10CC in '03 was the cooling system of my GT6 (If you forget the fact that the gearbox was leaking oil like no business- the smell of EP90 first thing in the morning! Umm!).

My methods were to sort out the cooling system were:
Back flush the block and rad. until clear water could be seen running.
Ensure good quality coolant was used.
Replace all the hoses
Fit new rad cap
As an extra precaution I added Millers 'Extra Rad Hib' coolant additive- this is a water wetter  that lubricates the water- it works! I was highly sceptical.

Anyrate it all helped, the only time the temp. got dodgy was going up the French Alps above Menton, near Sospel, she went above 100 degees C, but temp. came down going downhill.

Martin/Raider mentions the fitment of a compass, great idea,  have one I bought from Holden Vintage and Classic.
Other equipment that is fairly essential are good quality driving lamps- Cibie Oscars or the like. Martin got a set at a Autojumble last summer. Got to be worthwhile.
Also think about fitting new wipers and using Rain-Ex. What a product.

I'll post more tips as I get the thinking cap on.

The important thing to remember is these long distance driving events are all about prep. work. Think through the car and rectify the problems before the run!

The driving lights I bought for the RBRR were from here:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/lights-1/lights-1.html

Classic Driving Lamps... £30 for the pair - and they really do work ace... blindingly bright - even impressed a trucker driving a huge lorry with a load of halogens on - we were brighter than his!

Also bought the "Fast Fix Kit" for £11 - took us 5 minutes to wire it up - which was lucky because it was about 45 mins before the start at that point!

Best way to wire it up on the Spitfire (and probably Herald and GT6?) is to take a feed off the double bullet connector that is above the grille - the blue/white wire is the one that you want - and connect that up to the relay. This will then switch them on when you go for main/full beam... avoids having to put a switch somewhere on the dash... doubley good because its on the stalk also!

If you are going for Cibies or other large lamps it's a good idea to fit steady bars too.

You will find them at any outlet doing motorsport stuff.

If you don't fit them you may well find the lights juddering as you drive. There's a fair bit of weight balanced on the lamp brackets and held at the base of the lamp only without  the bracing of the steady bars.

My top tips are more in the way os don'ts
Don't  go over on the ferry with very little fuel and none in the spare can
Don't go with a car that runs hot on a warm day,sort it out before you go,so you don't boil over on a mountain pass
Don't be a dumbass and buy Lav Glace thinking it's anti freeze,It's screen wash
Don't go with a fold up map that when opens fills the front of a GT6
Don't wait untill three days into the run to ask your co-driver if he's dislexic
As the saying goes ''you live and learn''

Lav Glace - LOL could have been worse, I thought that was urinal cakes :-)

Another top tip - make sure your mobile phone works abroad! A couple of crews had problems with this due to not "unlocking" international roaming - it's too late when you're on the ferry  :'(

Gonna fit steady bars, however not sure if space for them on the mk1.

More tips:
Pack the car in a logical manner- nothing worse than having problems in the middle of France at 2 in the morn and not being able to find that 1/2 AF spanner. 4 RBRRs and 1 10CR in my GT6 and it is still a 'mare finding things in the cramped cockpit. Looking forward to the wide open spaces of the mk.1.

Fit a map light. Also take a torch and how about one of those flourescent strip lights that can be powered by the battery.

Ensure that the cigar lighter works and take a mobile phone charger.

£ for £ the best torch has to be one of those million candle light ones - less than a tenner - and usually come with a ciggy adapter to charge in the car.

I used one on the RBRR to give the car a good check in Perth... I thought I could hear a noise... didn't find anything - and the noise soon disappeared in to the back of my mind...

[quote by=jcarruthers link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,v=display,m=1105893665,s=10 date=1106958617]Just found them cheaper here:
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/
£30 incl vat...
[/quote]

SVC usually have big stands at the car shows... save a bit on postage

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,v=display,m=1105893665,s=14 date=1107019843]Gonna fit steady bars, however not sure if space for them on the mk1.[/quote]

I reckon a custom bracket through the grille might work...  I'm not sure what the Bus is like on lights, so may have to think about that myself.

General information:

I just read in a german car magazine that when you travel through Italy and Austria, you need a safety waistcost beside the usual warning triangle and first aid box. If you don't carry the safety waistcoat, on police control they can charge you between 60 and 300 Euros !!!!!!

Another information, fuel in Luxembourg is much cheeper then in France, Germany and Belgium, so don't forget to fill the tank when crossing Luxembourg .....

• 1 month later...

More tips, not sure if top!

Have plenty of rest before the event- easier said than done- usually busy prepping the car.
Do not have a curry the night before- nothing worse than delhi belly on the run ((No pun intended).
Take some grub and drinks- how about taking one of those mini fridges.
Take a sleeping bag for the car- no not for the car to sleep in!
When issued with the official maps, supplement with Europe Atlas- especially handy if in a open topped car. Not sure if Raider is issuing the maps on the day, if so take some highlighters and mark up the Atlas as well.
Remember to take car insurance docs, breakdown recovery details. log book and passport!!!!
Take spares like bulbs, hose clips, spare hoses, exhaust clamps etc. Store in tupperware containers that have been marked with content details.

Archived