I would imagine it would depend on the routes through Switzerland and Austria - the Vignettes are only required if you use the Swiss and Austrian Autobahn. The Swiss one is a bit of a rip off as its for a year whereas the Austrian one can be bought for a few days. You don't currently need them in Germany

More info here:

http://www.german-way.com/autobahn2.html

Perhaps Paul or Ellis would care to comment! :)

Steve

Looks like Austria and Switzerland then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignette_(road_tax)

Pity the Swiss don't do a short one..... rather unreasonable for a few hours!  I'm there for a couple of weeks beforehand so I'll get slightly better value.... :-/

Nick

The answer is, follow the market!
(That's "market", not "meerkat",  simps!)

Don't go through Switzerland.    The Mont Blanc tunnel gets you to Italy and you can go arounf it to the North into Austria.

You're not taking a trailer, are you Nick?
The Swiss are very picky.  We were warned off taking the car trailer through to Monza, as they can demand you offload everything for customs check, and then tell you that you don't have time to get through their country before dark and trailers not allowed in the dark, so stay there at the border until tomorrow! True story!

John

Vignettes are only needed if you intend to use the Swiss or Austrian motorway networks.

Cross into Switzerland on the motorway and customs will make you buy a vignette.

Cross the border elsewhere and you can avoid paying.

However, the fine for being caught on a Swiss motorway without a vignette is CHF 100 and then you have to buy a vignette which costs a further CHF 40 (around £30).

The Swiss vignette lasts from the beginning of January to the end of December that year.

It is not transferable, in theory, and you can't reclaim money if you are only use it for a day.  However, they do turn up on Ebay which may recoup some of the costs.

Last time I was in Austria on the 2007 10CR, the 10 day vignette cost 11 euros.

Cheaper to avoid the motorways - if you have the time. :)

Jim.

Will hopefully do what we did last time and spend the absolute minimum time in Switzerland, hateful place !

(In 2007 we crossed the border from France, turned immediately right and came straight back out again  ;D and went to Annecy for breakfast with Don Cook, very pleasant !)

Austria won't be a problem, as we won't be going there (unless you're waaaay off course). Switzerland may be needed, will depend of which route you decide to take, and how much time you have.

There are a couple of passes planned around the alps, and you may need to use the motorways in order to have the time to do them, so it's basically your choice (and I would suggest not making the call until you get there - you may need to weigh up a lot of factors by that time.

Might have known McJim suggest the cheap option, typical Scotlandshire person !!! ;)

Switzerland - spent a day at Geneva a couple of years ago...a city of frightful taste...International organisations have spoilt the place; real bunker mentality! On a separate tour in the GT6 a Swiss border guard that looked just like Laura Croft demanded we pay up for a vignette...I'd have done anything she asked!!!

Archived