Weather Forecast

SteveJP

Just been looking at the Meteo France weather site, they are predicting our current weather across North and Eastern France on wednesday afternoon, so better get the Rain Ex out!

Looks sunny further South though.

Ferry Crossing may be fun if the winds don't subside by Thursday morning, some ferries are cancelled today.

From our local news network today:

Operation Stack has been introduced on the M20 this afternoon due to the bad weather impacting on cross-Channel traffic.

Phase one of the operation is in place - which sees the closure of the coastbound carriageway between junctions 11 and 12 - Stanford and Cheriton.

It comes after a build-up of freight traffic queuing for the Port of Dover and the Channel Tunnel.

Operation Stack is where parts of the M20 are used to queue lorries that are travelling to the continent, to avoid causing gridlock on Kent’s road network. It is introduced as an emergency measure after consultation with other agencies and implemented following a thorough assessment of issues, including safety concerns and disruption on the road network.

Both the Port of Dover and Eurotunnel are open, however passengers are advised to check with their operators before setting off on their journeys to avoid delays.

Hopefully the backlog will have cleared by Thursday, but if not it does mean a diversion along the 'old' A20  :-/

This is what is meant by Operation Stack:

What is Operation Stack?

Operation Stack is the traffic management plan used by Kent Police when restrictions at the port of Dover make it necessary to transform sections of the M20 into a lorry park.

When Operation Stack is running, Kent Police park lorries in 3 rows on parts of the carriageway on the M20, until they can direct them to either the Channel Tunnel or ferries at Dover, as space becomes available. Other traffic is diverted from the motorway.
What junctions of the M20 are affected by Operation Stack?
Phase 1

Channel-bound lorries are parked on the M20 coastbound carriageway between junctions 11 (Hythe) and 12 (Cheriton) while other traffic is diverted along the A20, via junction 11.
Phase 2

When the M20 becomes full between junctions 11 and 12, the coastbound carriageway between junctions 8 (Maidstone) and 9 (Ashford) is also closed for lorry parking. This helps to reduce road congestion in and around Dover, as well as at the Channel crossing terminals.
Phase 3

This involves closing the M20 London-bound between Junctions 9 (Ashford) and 8 (Maidstone).
When is Operation Stack used?

Operation Stack is used when there are restrictions at the port of Dover. Restrictions may be caused by bad weather affecting channel crossings or strike action.

Operation Stack remains an emergency provision for Kent Police. It is only implemented following a thorough assessment of issues, including safety concerns and disruption on the road network.

Blimey - that doesn't look good - and I was a bit shocked this evening to have it pointed out to me that we leave the Plough at 10.00, with 91 miles to do to be at Dover for 11.30...for a ferry at 12.10....  Normally, I'd allow an hour to be there in advance, particularly given that my experience of the checkin procedures a month ago with Seafrance was that your options were either 'very slow' or 'stopped completely'.  Could be an "interesting" start to the run then....

Ellis has sent a message out this evening asking people to get to the Plough by 8.00am for a 9.00 am start due to the poor road conditions and congestion through the roadworks. Hopefully Operation Stack will be clear by then, but I have just discovered that the Eurotunnel Drivers in France are on strike which is having a knock on effect on the Ferry volumes.

c'est la vie as they say over there! :P

Thanks - just been into email and seen that.  Good idea, I reckon.  Have you seen my post under "CoDriver wanted"??  I'm actually OK for a co-driver, but have this evening lost one of my team due to the Italian airline staff all going on strike...... Must be the season for it or something...

Just watched my local weather forecast in Kent on the Telly - not bad just windy today but there is this ominous word displayed on the Channel - ROUGH! - should be fun tomorrow then!

Dover Port  website here: http://www.doverport.co.uk/?page=TrafficTravelWeather last updated early this morning so worth looking at this evening (if you dare!!!)

Archived