mazfg

They are a good company.  They once balanced a prop for me while I waited.  I removed and refitted it in their car park, which amused them.  This was a  (long) while ago mind...... (198X 😲)

Fitting UJs is not too bad a job usually - once you've acquired the knack.  Might be worth asking them what they'd charge seeing as you are taking it there anyway and then they could also inspect it for a knackered sliding spline before wasting a couple of UJs on a duff one.....

Nick

yes some people will say you should have greasable u/js or the ones for Freelanders are better quality but if you can get it all done for a price like that I recommend you go ahead as it can be quite a fiddly job. Mine was slightly bent and had to be straightened with heat which of course brings an additional cost....
However I would check the play in the sliding joint carefully before starting - if its excessive you'll always struggle to be vibration free. Also mark everything before you dismantle it including the flanges cos, although in theory it shouldnt make any difference, why not put it back together exactly as it was and reduce the risk of any problems?

Quoted from Nick Jones
They are a good company.  They once balanced a prop for me while I waited.  I removed and refitted it in their car park, which amused them.  This was a  (long) while ago mind...... (198X 😲)

My brother and I did that too, same place, same time frame. And I still have the car in question...

Well, I got the propshaft back on Friday. Amazing service from Propshaft services. Picked up on Monday, delivered back on Friday. 2 new UJ's(they also have (slim) grease nipples fitted) and  a balance. It's even been re-sprayed in satin black which is great. Total cost £122 with TNT pickup and delivery (although I think they only charged me one way!)

Fitted and taken for a test drive...wow, what a differenece..wished I'd done this when i first got the car!! No vibration at higher speeds, gearbox seems less whiny too...

Also the Prop was found fitted with the sliding joint near the diff end! According to the book, should be at the gearbox end..which is as I've done now.

Quoted from mazfg
Haynes manual shows it away from diff. And picture on Canleys site.

Some of the factory literature does show them this way, however the workshop  manual shows the spline immediately in front of the diff, which is how all of my Triumphs have been configured.

Cheers,
Bill.

The thing is I put it back in the way it came out (spline near diff ) then decided to swap it as a few people had remarked it was the wrong way and the manuals / pictures I had said it was also correct that way. ....  I'll leave it be for now....as I'm removing the gearbox at the end of the season I'll swapost it again then. ..
I bought new flange bolts n nyloc nuts from Canleys for the Prop flanges...they were fine at the diff end but seemed a little short on the gearbox end as the nyloc nuts look like they could do a few turns more for the bolt to be at least flush with the nut....  the originals were longer. I think the flanges at the gearbox end must be thicker!