Spitfire MK3 1970 and Electronic Ignition help

pegasus45

Hi All

Just joined club as i have finally got a triumph Spitfire MK3. I have always wanted to own a spitfire for as long as i can remember, but never had the opportunity , now the kids have all left home its my time :) At last.

I am looking at fitting electronic ignition and was wondering if any of you have suggestions as to which type to go for.

There appears to be 3 ways of doing it 

accuspark delco electronic distributor with a taco drive or

Stealth electronic ignition kit or

Sparkrite SX4000 Electronic ignition conversion kit. This one allows you to switch between electronic or points ?

Any info / help would be great , as to which system is best.

Regards

Phill

Pertronix are available in this  country via the retrorockets website. Or they are imported and re-badged Aldon. They are good, I had one in my vitesse for 13 years, and I believe it is still going strong 8 years later.

I have a stealth, fairly cheap in comparison, unit in my Toledo, been there 6 years, no issues. Had Pertonix in a couple of other cars, no failures to report on any of them.

In general, I think they are reliable units. Amazing, as a few years ago I stumbled across a chinese website, and if you bought in bulk, they were $1 each (I think the cheap type sold via ebay etc for the lucas distributors) but again, they seem reliable enough. Never did find that website again, I actually considered buying a batch!

Hi Phill, you'll find that there are certain topics on here that open the provebial can of worms and electronic ignition is one of them! It seems that everybody has had different experiences with each manufacturers products (dont forget Lumenition) and a lot comes down to your personal situation ie: is the distributor worn, do you want originality, are you on a budget....

Im in the last category and have had no problems with my Accuspark unit

Quoted from pegasus45-

Hi All

Just joined club as i have finally got a triumph Spitfire MK3. I have always wanted to own a spitfire for as long as i can remember, but never had the opportunity , now the kids have all left home its my time :) At last.

I am looking at fitting electronic ignition and was wondering if any of you have suggestions as to which type to go for.

There appears to be 3 ways of doing it 

accuspark delco electronic distributor with a taco drive or

Stealth electronic ignition kit or

Sparkrite SX4000 Electronic ignition conversion kit. This one allows you to switch between electronic or points ?

Any info / help would be great , as to which system is best.

Regards

Phill

I bought one of the sx2000 units of Iain aka Spitfire6 and i must say it works great  

Hi

Thank you all for your help, i have decided to go with the Accuspark Stealth, mainly because i want to keep the spitfire looking as original as possible , and this one seems to be the best one for that, ill let you know how well it works , But its been delayed due to the weather :(.

Cheers

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

I sent my dizzy to http://h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/technical.htm 

they rebuilt it and fitted an electronic bit inside, so no points or condenser, and looking from the outside you would never know, blinking great and I think I paid £150, 

it looks like their web site is being worked on so heres their phone number 01384 261500

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I went for the stealth electronic kit, and it works fantastic and very simple to fit.

and at  around £40.00 is well worth doing, not only does the engine see to run smother it also seams to have a little more go in it .

thanks for all the info.

phill

Probably all similar.

Have fitted Pertronix to 3 T.C.'s and a Mk 4 Spitfire with delco electrics.

No problems with any. To me seems easier starting and better running. Although that may be me justifying the expense. Never happy with the latest crop of aftermarket points though.

Tony.