Tim Bancroft

Had a problem last week when driving my mk1 home from the MOT garage, a really bad vibration set in, in fact I had noticed it last time I drove the car- September last year.
Anyrate I have pulled the diff. out and found that the nose piece has spilt where it meets the rear flange. Evidently this is a common problem, Chris Witor does reinforced nose pieces.
Looks like I will be getting one of those, however for present I will use the differential I got for £20 off Richard Stubbs on Wednesday night, this came from a 2500S Estate that has been broken as very rotten.
Taking the old diff. has been relatively easy as it is a quick job to tear down the rear suspension on these cars. I got the new one in using a trolley jack, Screw Jack under the front nose and cable ties. Tomorrow will be spent re-fitting the ancillaries: Drive shafts, Coil springs etc.
Gotta say that taking the diff out of this range oif cars seems easier than taking it out of a Mk.2 GT6, the diff weighs more but more space and better thought out method of locating the housing.
The worst job was attempting to undo the rounded 3/8UNC nylocs that held the half shafts onto the secondhand diff. I had got- ended up reaching for the grinder! Why the hell do people re-use nylocs- they are so cheap to buy and it makes life so much easier when it comes to taking things apart. I generally purchase a mixed bag of UNC fastenings when I go to a car show- cannot stand mucking around with rusty nuts and bolts.

I will rebuild the original one diff. ( Or should I say Canley Classics will) in time for the 10CR.

You had a busy Saturday too !!!  I spent most of yesterday re-laying my driveway ready for a certain new acquisition.

Today will be mostly spent moving engines, gearboxes and other parts into their new tool stores. Then I might have a garage back as well !!!

Anyway, hope the diff works out Tim.

Well got the diff in, finished bolting everything bar the exhaust and the prop.
Too my horror have found I must have a Stag diff as the prop flange PCD is slightly larger- checked it against the ends of 2 other big saloon props and have found it to be 1/8 inch bigger!!!!!
Anyone know the diff ratio of a Stag?
Anyrate got the flange of the stag diff, could not get the flange off the older diff as not got a suitabl;e work bench and vice to mount it in, luckily will take it to work and use the work shop to shift the big nut -100lbf ft.
Method for getting the old flange off the diff mounted in the car was to use bolt a 52mm exhaust u-bolt throught the flange holes and put a bar through it- shocked when it worked.

Bit brassed off as I wanted to use the car next weekend- still looks like I'll be working in the dark this week.

Taxpayers nothing!

I did this at home last night after I finished my coursework as a wee celebration.

With Greeks away we need to try harder to keep up the standard of drivel.  :P

PS  Don't ring the phone number.  I just put that there for a laugh but it is a real number of an organisation.

I've done a little tidying up but I go to work and it's dark and I get home and it's dark again.

The light nights are slowly finding their way north, so I can get stuck in soon.

On top of that, I'm out sending gritters out at four in the morning, 7 days a week on alternate weeks just now.  So up at 2.45 most mornings.  And on top of that, I've got my uni coursework (finished last night) and studying for the forthcoming exam.

Oh and nearly forgot, wife and daughter like to see me now and again.

So not too busy at present.  Can't think why I'm not making more progress.

When I get my Triumph, it'll be worth the wait. :'(

Quote:
Maybe i should start harrassing them to start a Dutch Club triumph area - what do you think?

Well you've not had much luck with Scotland. ;)

I had seen the interest from the Netherlands, Raider.

Time for Club Triumph to go Pan European?

If we ever get a Scottish section up and running, I noticed in the Club magazine that there was a new member from Iceland.

Maybe he could be persuaded to join his "local" branch - the next nearest area would be Pendle and Pennine and I think that's asking him to travel a bit too far. :)

Quote:
i hope that you also find a little time to organise the Le carrera Caledonia- come on get your finger out!

Well ahead with that one, Tim, started work on it last August.

The route's sorted out, the paperwork needs updating, a couple of hours to do that, but the biggest challenge will be setting up a website for the event.  That will be a first for me.

Hope that James can give me a few pointers, then I'll get that done.

Well the saga continues, all back together, however on putting the exhaust back together I noticed that one of the intermediate silencers was tight up against the prop. Undid the weird attachment that bolts onto the cross member a bit to attempt to get some clearance, this did not work as on over-run the box could be heard to rub the prop. So took the mount out, still no good as the silencer pipe that passes thro' the cross member was now clattering against the member! Damm!
Now realise why the exhaust always seemed to be hanging low. Only option is to go for one of Witor's straight through exhaust pipes- order one tomorrow, with the hope that I can collect at Stoneleigh. Real shame as I was looking forward to taking the car up to the show.
The GT6 is still at Richard Stubb's premises- he tells me that she will be ready for collection on Friday afternoon- Hope so as I want to take this up instead.
My brief drive in the 'The Grey Turd' showed that she holds the road better, the steering is better- this must be down to the roller bearing top mount Chris Witor incorporates into his re-con struts- and the brakes actually seem to work. Also as she is now lower she looks more purposeful. One thing I have done that seems to make the car look better is not re-fit the Black centres to the TR6 wheels- looks meaner. I reckon the car has so much potential- gotta go for injection next!

Ordered a Witor Stainless manifold and exhuast system today, collecting at Stoneleigh at 12.00 from Chris. This means that I will not be on the Club Stand at 12.00 fort the meeting of Forum folk. I'll be along later on.
Will not have much time at the show as I'll be on the stand for most of the day.

i sympathise tim, and you're right, it's a common enough problem.  why uncle stanpart designed the quill shaft extension to take so much load is beyond me, but that's life.  it's a common enough practice out here in the colonies to have high tensile welds put on the nose piece if you're going to be throwing the car around, or even if you just want more robustness.  seems to work fine once fixed.  then you just have to hope that the swinging arms don't crack....

Archived