Stag diff into a Vitesse

Encom

not the stag diff, but GT6 non overdrive is 3.27 and the whole thing will be a straight swap into a vitesse (I ran a few until I got fed up breaking the 3.27, but that was with a 2.5 engine and a gearbox with a very low first gear :B )

Maybe hard to find where you are.
However, there is the subaru/datsun diff conversion that would give you a very strong 3.5ratio diff. The conversion started in the christchuch area I believe.

Stag is 3.7:1.  Similar to mk 1 2000 saloon and estates (interchangeable, but not internally identical, saloons/estates also fitted with 4.11 and 3.45 ratios dependent on engiine/gearbox).

You probably could get one into a Vitesse but would be much easier to start with a TR one which doesn't have the quill shaft arrangement.

Only 3.27 in the Triumph range is the GT6 non-OD one as Clive says.  Same internals used in Dolly 1850 auto and possibly early TR7 auto but in a live axle.

Suspect the car actually has a GT6 diff which would a straight swap for the Vitesse one.

Cheers

Nick

1867 wrote:
Stag diff, GT6 diff all the same!  ;D Turns out the car has a GT6 3.27 diff with (as below) a camber compensator.

So I brought the car. Should be in my care mid next week.

Well done. Is this the blue car, advertised on Trademe, based in CHCH? I spoke with the owner, he sounded like a good genuine guy and the car seemed to be solid.

I rang to ask a few questions because the description and pictures didn't quite match (Cactus Green under the bonnet, but blue exterior; Overdrive fitted & OD badges but no "O" on Commission Number). Also the heater appeared to be missing, brake servo fitted etc.

I was not in the market, just keen to help the seller describe his car reasonably accurately. Good to hear it has gone to an enthusiast. What are your plans for the car?

Colour combinations are a very personal thing. I like Cactus Green and I like red upholstery. Bringing the two colours together in one car sounds wonderful.

The seats in my car are Les Leston units, originally from a Bond Equipe, I understand. roger.england (I think he is still a member of this forum) will be able to confirm, he restored the car. It might be pretty hard to find a pair of LL seats though, so you may be better looking for something else, perhaps some period racer type seats? There are many older threads on this forum regarding seating choices.

If you require any pictures or information as you embark on your restoration, please let me know. [i presume you are going to tackle a body-off full restoration?] PM is fine.

1867 wrote:
Yes that is the other consideration, they look good but are they comfortable?

Are the Les Leston seats comfortable? Absolutely! My wife and I have travelled approximately 6100 miles in the last three years, including a 550 mile Forgotten World Highway loop, a 1200 mile trip last October (Wellington-Dunedin-Wellington via Murchison and Lewis Pass), and a 750 mile trip last week (Wellington-Tauranga-Whakatane-Wellington) with no complaints at all.

Bear in mind though that we are not big people (I'm 70kg and my wife is mid-50s kg). if you are a big guy, then your experience may differ. Also, the back angle is fixed, and there is no head rest (if your passenger is prone to nodding off, as mine has been known to do).

If I was to sell the Vitesse for another small-chass triumph (a Brabham Coupe replica did you say 8)), I'd be planning on keeping the seats, such is their comfort.

• 4 months later...

Although Bond Equipe's were fitted with Les Leston branded steering wheels (mostly!), the seats were, IIRC, by Microcell and I have not heard of these being marketed under the Les leston name. The earlier 4 cylinder models were fitted with  Microcell "Contour 6 seats  and the later 2-Litre seats were also by Microcell, but I am not sure of the exact model designation - please forgive me if this post is out of place, I am not nit-picking, just thought it might help if someone really wants to find some of these seats - they were a popular accessory fitting in the 1960s and I believe used on works rally Minis etc.

Oh! and yes they are very comfortable  - I had a set in my Herald and went all over England, Scotland, Europe, Switzerland etc with them - I bought a whole Bond to get them at the time - they were the best bit - the chassis, bulkhead and floor was totally shot as I understand they were never dipped as Triumph ones were and certainly when I have dismantled the odd Bond I have found areas such as inside edges of door pillars etc unpainted.