disability light weight clutch pedal

mike kimmens

Due to problems with my knee I need to make the clutch pedal in my 1967 MK1 2000 lighter, I'd prefer to do this rather than stick an auto box in it. Although the car is a 1967 MK1 2000 it has been updated/graded to full 2500S spec. Can a remote servo be used with a clutch? Any ideas appreciated

John, thanks for that idea, I've had a look at cw website and he lists 2 sizes of slave cylinder bore but only one master cylinder cw says 7/8 will give longer travel than 1" so I think I will have a look at what bore slave is already fitted and it might be a simply solution. Won't now if knee can cope until I try it, Spa at end of May so need to sort it before then. Regards Mike

On the Daimler Dart Car SOS did they also wanted a lighter clutch and on that they swapped out the pressure assembly which had coil springs for one using a diaphragm spring. It surprised me that it would have made any difference. Surely the spring pressure would need to be the same.

10362 wrote:
On the Daimler Dart Car SOS did they also wanted a lighter clutch and on that they swapped out the pressure assembly which had coil springs for one using a diaphragm spring. It surprised me that it would have made any difference. Surely the spring pressure would need to be the same.

It makes quite a difference.

The coil spring clutch is linear - the further you compress the springs, the more force it takes. The clutch engaged condition, where the pressure is required to transmit torque, is with the springs minimally compressed. Thus you need to apply more force to disengage the clutch - and hold it disengaged - than is needed to clamp it.

The diaphragm spring is an "up-and-over" device. Once you've pressed it past the knee point, the force required to push it further - and hold it there - is far less.