Tim Bancroft

After some advice.

During yesterday's CT 12 car rally the steering on the 2.5 started to become strange in its action.
This is difficult to describe:
The car's steering will not self centre and the steering feels like it is steering over a lump just after straight ahead, when turning both left and right. After going over the lump it goes light and becomes difficult to return to straight ahead.

Before this happened, I changed the TCA (New poly bushs) and TCA ball joints, the track rods ball joints are in good condition, the steeering column UJ is fairly new and the rack was replaced at the beginning of the year. The drag struts were taken off and a good pair of 2nd hand items were fitted, these are poly bushed at the angled joint with the chassis. The struts/shockers/springs were fitted 4 years ago.

All a bit of a mystery, to me it feels just like the TCA BJs have gone, but the new ones have only done 200 miles?

Therefore I wonder if the drag struts are loose in the angled chassis mounts?

Would welcome thoughts as the 10CR is upon me and I have to get the car through a MOT in the next week or so!

Is it the strut bearings on top of the front springs ?

If the grease has gone, and there is wear and corrossion it will cause funny effects.

I would disconnect the track rod ends and see if both steering arms (and hence the struts) move freely. It will also reveal if one side is different to the other and hence point you in the correct direction.

I know this is a non load test, but it usually shows if you have a problem.

If both are free then its probably rack / steering column.

mike

Mike and Peter,

Reckon you two are spot on. I fitted Chris Witor's struts with roller bearings on the top, and yes I did have a problem with some water getting in (Since fitting the louvred bonnet)!

I will do as Mike suggests and dis-connect the steering and test.

Looks like I will need to re-build the tops of these struts. Anyone know if I can retro fit std bushes? Suppose I could source new bearings.

Thanks very much for the advice, I had started to get worried.

Can also be the steering coupling U/J seizing up, especially if you have suffered from water ingress. Check with CW but I believe the roller strut tops are interchangeable with the OE ones.

Might need to check if you need the thrust washers on the OE. Don't know if the conversion uses them?

If it is the strut bearings, and its more than surface rust, it could be a bigger problem, as the bearings are precision gapped and have a specific tolerance spacer fitted between the inner races. Not enough preload and you will get a clunk as you go over bumps, too much and you get stiff steering (ask how I know !). If its light rust you may be able to clean it off with wire wool etc and not affect the preload significantly.

If you have shorter springs than standard, its possible to remove the top bearing and inspect without strut removal, simply by undoing the castelated nut at the top of the strut.

If water did get in, do you have the black grommets that fit the hole where the castelated nut is ?

mike

Yep, been thinking about this all morning.

I imagine as the steering has been affected the bearing will be damaged, not looking to hopeful. Will take apart as suggested.
How is the preload set up, torque setting on the big nut?

All a bit in the dark about this subject as Chris built the various parts up for me, I have never taken struts apart!

The preload is set by the spacer, it sits between the inner bearing races, and stops them being forced too tightly into the outer races, and hence keeps the friction low. The nut is simply done to normal torque settings. Even if overtightened it won't affect the preload (unless you manage to collapse the spacer).

This means that even if you get replacement bearings, and fit them, because of bearing tolerances you probably need a new precision spacer gapped to suit the bearings and strut mount that you have. You can make your own (but its a pita without the tools that Chris Wittor must use).

Lets hope its surface rust and cleans off

mike

A little tip that is work knowing, before removing the struts from the car, undo the castelated nut a little, at least so the "nyloc" section is free of the thread - you need a big ring spanner for the castelated nut, and perhaps a little one to keep the stut top from turning. Don't undo it the whole way until the spring compressors are on. While the spring is still compressing the unit it helps prevent the strut turning with the castelated nut. This can be a real pain when off the car.

Don't under any circumstances use a mole grip on the centre chrome part unless you are replacing the dampers.

Then undo the 3 top nuts that hold the assembly in place, and the 4 bolts into the hub carrier - you should then be able to leave the rest in place, without more potential damage to ball joint boots etc. (the spring may require some compression to take the tension off the hub carrier).

Be warned on some Chris Wittor roller bearing mounts the 3 top bolts that go through the wing are not welded to the mount (unlike the oem units) - I usually hold these in place with tape on re-assembley.

good luck

mike

Richard_B wrote:

ps Don't lose the 10thou camber adjustment shims hidden behind two of these bolts.   :)

Ask me how I know  :B :B :B

I don't recall my car having these shims Richard, do you end up with more negative camber if they are missing?

Colin.

Hello Tim,

I know you say the U.J.'s are "fairly new" but if the steering goes tight then loose and back to tight (if I understand your description?) then that is the classic sign of a tight U.J. I would check that first.

Alec

Amazing, have a similiar problem with my MK1 with PS. The car suddely lost the self centering of the steering and seems tight and imprecise. Interestingly this happened on the way down a big hill with plenty of hairpins and was quite sudden - few options fow what it could be.

Richard: Umm, not got any shims? Certainly were'nt any there when I put the new struts in back in 2005.

Blimey, have alot of options to look at:
1. Top bearing to struts.
2. Steering rack
3. Steering column UJ.

Following DJB's comments I am now wondering if its the UJ. Excessive heat from tubular manifold causing issues?

Blimey, in fact crikey!

Archived