system6

Hi
    The  rear shocks (standard) on my gt6 mk3 , have been removed (chassis re-build), no signs of leaks a little bit of surface rust ,...is there a test that can be done to prove them ......I think i've heard of 'A Bounce test'...

Thanks in advance for your replies

The bounce test is done with the vehicle on its wheels on flat ground with all suspension settled. You simply push down hard on the corner you wish to test and it should bounce up and down one to two times from the one push. You can see if each bounce is more dampened and if it is then they are working.

Chris.

2402 wrote:
The bounce test is done with the vehicle on its wheels on flat ground with all suspension settled. You simply push down hard on the corner you wish to test and it should bounce up and down one to two times from the one push. You can see if each bounce is more dampened and if it is then they are working.

Chris.

In the case of some people .....just with one hand ;)

You can do a rough test with them off the car. open them up fully, then lean on them and see how long they take to go fully closed. You should feel significant resistance, and it should take a couple of seconds (that is very rough estimate, compare them and they should be the same)
If they move easily, they are knackered.

interestingly (or not) I had to replace all 4 shocks on the mx5 as one front and one rear were leaking.
The new (KYB) shocks had less resistance than the 25year old originals, even the leaky ones.

michael_charlton wrote:
The MOT test is only for leaks now.
The bounce test has now been abandoned
If there is no leak then the car will pass an MOT

Correct! My car passed an MOT test with the rear seized solid. Yes, I'd vote for new ones, since they're not a fortune. Ha! It's not my money! :)

I've got a set of Front and Rear Spax shocks sat in my garage that are new and unused

The fronts are the height adjustable ones, and the rears come complete with the chassis mounting bracket kit (which I've has powdercoated properly)

Louis has first refusal on the front shocks, but the rears are still available if you want a new set

Let me know if they're any use to you?

1903 wrote:
I've got a set of Front and Rear Spax shocks sat in my garage that are new and unused

The fronts are the height adjustable ones, and the rears come complete with the chassis mounting bracket kit (which I've has powdercoated properly)

Louis has first refusal on the front shocks, but the rears are still available if you want a new set

Let me know if they're any use to you?

I have a set of Spax shocks waiting to go on the rear, no chassis mounting kit though. Can you post a picture of the kit so I know what to look for? (or point me at a link)

Cheers.

Our vehicle tester has a tester on their brake machine. Has vibrating pads that give readouts on a graph on the machine. Got to have quite low readings for a fail though. Although it happens, one on my Camry had to be replaced.
Tony.