lighted flywheel on a Straight six

MarkB

Hi all
Still working on the Vitesse restoration been going on to long, with life and other projects getting in the way. To speed things up I am probably going to go for a standard off the shelf head as apposed to my intention of fitting a modified one. I will be going elcetronic fuel injection as soon as the car is back on the road as I want a little more perfomance but with reasonable MPG. I was wondering if a lightened flywheel is a worthwhile mod on a 2 litre. I had one fitted to a Spitfire but it wasn't done in isolation so can't judge any possible gains on pick -up. Anyone gone down this route, and was it benificial?

Thanks

Mark

I've got an early 2lt (#250 or something) which I believe has the lighter flywheel? Would always happily go from 20mph to 90mph in 4th gear. Idle was silky smooth and a blip of the throttle saw it spin up just as fast as my small bearing 1300. Someone will be along and able to say what weights each one has, but I'd take that as a good starting place.

A lightened flywheel is the last mod to do to squeeze the last .05% of performance out of the car.  Unless you put pedal to the metal every time, you will notice no difference in performance either, and that won't reduce your fuel consumption.     And it's not cheap either.  A 'proper' light flywheel from Cambridge motorsport or such will be nearly £350.

I have some flywheels that weigh in at 12kgs, but I think they are saloon ones.   The Vitesse 'wheel weighs 9kg, and I've got my new one down to 6 - Cambridge's in alloy with a steel clutch friction face are 4kgs!

John

I wouldn't pay for a lightened fly wheel of the shelf. took mine to a reputable machine shop and engine builder CTM performance in rainham cost £90  had it reduced from 25lb to 18lb its fitted to my standard 2500 mk2 saloon slightly improved pick up speed from stand still in 1st and 2nd gear only had it done while the gearbox was out being reconditioned, chris witor does sell them for £145 + vat :)

25lb to 18lbs - what are these "lbs" of which you speak? (11-8kgs!)

Here's how mine was reduced.
Some more off the back, but only around the rim.  There's more meat in the middle but it's not safe to take it out of there, and makes less difference that rim metal.

See the balancing holes to the left, and the extra pin in the hub.  All essential IMHO.

JOhn

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Staying on the (Lighted) Lightened theme I was also going to fit the aluminium front and back engine plates along with the water pump housing. I know the cast housing weighs a lot so worthwhile, not so sure about the front and back plates, but still tempted. I see a couple of suppliers sell the aluminium engine plates. Does anyone know if they are all from the same supplier, and of the same quality?

Thanks

JohnD wrote:
25lb to 18lbs - what are these "lbs" of which you speak? (11-8kgs!)

Here's how mine was reduced.
Some more off the back, but only around the rim.  There's more meat in the middle but it's not safe to take it out of there, and makes less difference that rim metal.

See the balancing holes to the left, and the extra pin in the hub.  All essential IMHO.

JOhn

I had my fly wheel reduced in weight from 25lbs  to   18lbs in wieght :)