stag timing chains

RAGTOP

Someone in NZ who wildly modified his Stag has done so.  It needed work done to the timing cover and cam covers to allow for the extra space needed.  Duplex chain that is.  Cam belt?  Not that I know of.  What is your reason for enquiry?  Fed up with "german" chains that are chewing gum?

Julian

If that last remark is the case, a good quality (simplex) chain should outlast the engine, even on a Stag.
Also after fitting the chains it is wise to check their tension for the first 1000 miles or so ...

On my Sprint engine'd TR7 (so with duplex chain) just over 1000 km after fitting a new chain and the tensioner was already against its stop
(the chain clearly wasn't pre-stretched as it should be).
Adjusting everything solved it. Engine still going strong with the same chain, 20 years and well over 100.000 km on.

Indeed Theo, a good quality simplex chain is fine for a Stag V8.
Some years ago a few of us Stag owners sought out which IWIS product number was the one for Stags. Eventually we found a type that was factory fitted to Mercedes 6 cylinder engines. The idea is that simplex IWIS chains were fitted to MB and BMW engines as a fit for life item. So that should also count for the Stag.
After several chains that had "German" on the packaging but dubious marks on the chains themselves that had stretched within the Triumph factory parameters, I fitted the IWIS chains. Still going strong.
There is a difference in price though. The County and "German" chains are twice the price of standard chains. IWIS double again.  For such a critical item that otherwise has a bad reputation, I don't see the point in cutting costs.

So the IWIS chains I assume are Simplex but how is it they last so much longer? Do you need a longer life tensioner too? I like the idea of a fit and leave for 100,000 miles chains but is it really this simple as fitting IWIS chains?

Also it appears that some "German" chains are not German but copies? (from China?) what are the recommendations as to what to look for when buying chains/tensioners for a Stag? Is there any modifications to steer clear off?

thanks

Martin

Longer chain is the one I bought. Just lopped one link off for the shorter one. Mine were a MB part but could easily be Jag too.
Personally I will not fit anything other than IWIS chains. The "German" labelled ones sometimes come from County, but otherwise there is nothing on the chains or packaging that says where they are from. I just don't trust them anymore.

• 3 weeks later...