Steven Lowe

Hi every one, i have just removed the sump from my 13/60 and didn`t notice that there were three different lengths of bolts! can anyone tell me if this is normal and if so what position do they go back in? also were can i get a o/s door cam lock mechanism as rimmers don`t have any in stock, many thanks for any help.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi every one ,

Me and my bolts!!  when removing the timing cover on my herald 13/60 coolant came gushing out of a bolt hole at the top of the engine!  should this happen or am i in trouble.

thanks for the good news your going to give me!!

Thanks for that Dave, was going to send a picture of it but i can`t figure out how!! i have just had a spring delivered to replace the broken one but i think it`s well knackered if it doesn`t work i`ll let you know.

steve.

on a 6 which Im sure is very similar I use a piece of coathanger wire bent 90º to pull the tensioner strip back a bit while fitting the cover then once its located on the chain, remove the wire and push the cover fully home....

Quoted from marktheherald-

photos can only be posted by members....

Not true.  Only club members can upload photos to the forum.  Any registered forum can post images that are hosted elsewhere. 

For example here is photo from my blog:

2 ways to insert images:  by clicking on the "insert/edit image" icon and then putting the web address of the image you want to use.  Or click on the word "Insert" select "Image" then fill in the "Source" field.

hello again, can any one tell me what size helicoil i need to redo the thread on the 13/60 timing cover bolt hole it`s one of the bottom one`s just above the crank .

many thanks

Steve.

How stripped-down is your engine? Apart from the two outliers near the dynamo, all the timing cover bolts go through the front plate into the block (or the aluminium filler piece). You will need to remove the front plate to helicoil them. Also beware of swarf!

The thread is 5/16" UNF on all those bolts.

Sounds like Steven has a problem with the thread in the ally bridge piece as is almost always the case. I had the same on my 6 but with the sump bolts that go into the same item from underneath so I just ran an M10 tap through which luckily just fit through the sump pan holes and then used short M10 allen head bolts to achieve a the correct tightening. Dont if it would be possible to do the same with the front timing cover hole.....  

Fraid its got to be bigger as a stripped 5/16 hole is just about 8mm (clearance hole for M8) which could work for M9 if you could find one or better M10 if theres enough space. Then youll definitely need a allen head bolt (maybe even ground down a little) as a hex head will be too big.

I think its worth trying this as to helicoil will probably means taking off both timing cover and backplate which requires timing gear removal and exposes the engine internals to swarf ingress. If you do go that far you could consider replacing the bridge block with a new item (~20pounds) or even a steel one (~40pounds).......

I did manage to get a 10mm tap into it and a ground down bolt and it seems to have tightened reasonably tightly but lets see! only had the car a couple of weeks and was hoping to do these jobs over winter but the leaks were so bad nobody wanted me on there drive!!

Hi, just found a crack in the inlet manifold on the 13/60 , will it effect the running much?  and if i need one where can i get one if i can`t fix it, Rimmers and Canley classics don`t stock it anymore!

Cheers

Steve.

Unusual but I cant believe its going to have much of an effect. Perhaps you could put some liquid on it while its running to see if air is being drawn in and then fill the crack with some epoxy metal to get rid of any doubt......