James

I'm fed up of silly square sump plugs - where can I get the socket to remove them? My Halfords don't do them - and I can't see any on eBay...

I'd like to replace it with a normal hex one... any ideas of anything that fits of a (reasonably) modern car?

Like Clive, I fitted a gearbox plug to the sump of my T2500.

That was many years ago and I'm always surprised to find that the magnet is always clean.  May be because the lining on mains and big-end shells isn't magnetic!

Before fitting that hexagon-headed plug, I used a ring spanner on the square plug.  I can't recall the size, but it worked well.  

jcarruthers wrote:
I'm fed up of silly square sump plugs - where can I get the socket to remove them? My Halfords don't do them - and I can't see any on eBay...

I'd like to replace it with a normal hex one... any ideas of anything that fits of a (reasonably) modern car?

Knew I had seen it some where:

http://quillertriumph.co.uk/Quiller/Parts/new_products/sump%20plug%20magnetic.htm

A 1/2" ring spanner fits quite well or Moss do a square ring spanner for the job:
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=5815&SortOrder=1

But I agree a hex head plug is the answer ideally one of the US type parallel thread one with a washer to cure any leaks.
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/spitfire/images/14a.gif

A trick I have used to undo the sump plug is to use a normal socket the wrong way round:  in other words, fit the square 1/2 inch hole of a socket over the sumnp plug.  Select a socket where the end that normally goes on the bolt is a nice snug fit on the 1/2 inch square drive.  Sorry, I can't remember which socket it is, but there is one.

This does not round off the sump plug like a ring spanner or normal socket would because the force is applied to much more of the faces of the sump plug instead of just the corners,

timbancroft61 wrote:
I have always used 7/16af open ended  spanners-no issues.

That's always worked for me.  Sometimes you need to tap the spanner round with a rubber mallet if the plug is a bit tight.  In light of recent events, I checked my diff oil level yesterday when I was doing the back brakes......

The only problem with the square plugs is that people insist on overtightening them for some reason .  They do the same with spin on oil filters too.  Just do them up tight enough to prevent leaks, they won't fall off!  :)

I like magnetic sump plugs though, the one on my old Metro always came out covered in swarf.

sorbs wrote:
I like magnetic sump plugs though, the one on my old Metro always came out covered in swarf.

Sorbs, that's because of the crap design of using the same pool of oil for the gearbox and engine, most of the swarf will be gearbox related because Metro and Mini boxes (and others of that ilk) are pretty rubbishy.

The thing to remember about the square plug and the bolt plug is that the square plug is a tapered thread and as we all know a taper is a bloody hard seal to break (rear hub pullers spring to mind) so should not be over tightened.  The bolt type is not taper and relies on a crushed copper washer for it's seal. They need to be tightened to crush the washer, and a new washer is needed every oil change.

Jimmmy0_0 wrote:
Snap on, do a sockets that fit square sump plugs, but are not cheep but they save sump plugs

Yes, I treated myself to one of them. Gulped a bit at the price, but it only needs to get you out of the s**t once to be worth it.
nicely made stuff.

Archived