Sourcing a 2.5 engine & overdrive

stripyt6

My T6 is all sorted in the bodywork and suspension department - and has a very sound 2ltr lump in it, however I'm hankering after a little more poke. After doing some (ok quite a lot) of reading I think the simplest method would be to get a 2.5ltr fitted with a TR5 cam (I've already got a nice 3-2-1 manifold). Which should hopefully see me getting 150-160hp(ish)

Sooooo ... can anyone recommed a good source for a 2.5 engine? Can you buy engines rebuilt ready to drop in? (it looks like you can online from a few sources BUT I don't know if they are any good, and the pricing seems to vary wildly!) :)

Also - is it possible to fit a 4spd gearbox with overdrive - or, do you need to source a different box? (I've read about the 5spd conversions but they are pretty expensive!)

You can use the 2.5 with the GT6 type gearbox but it isn't advisable - been there done that and the extra torque is too much for what is basically a much uprated Herald 'box (there is only so much uprating that you can fit in such a small casing!).  Best bet is the TR/saloon 'box - it will go in with very little in the way of modding, mounts, lever, prop' etc.
Whereabouts are you as I have a spare 2.5 kicking about (tho' I'd have to check its condition)?

4953 wrote:
Oh - and I thought about fettling the 2ltr but the extra torque from the 2.5 would be nice, I do like a fat slab of torque :)

If you want 2.5 torque from a 2ltr fit 3D ignition management, If you really want it to fly go full EFI.

ah, I hadn't realised that about the TR saloon box ... yes, it wouldn't be the first GT6 box that fell appart whilst I was driving!! (altho this one seems very sound at the mo) I'm in Elstead in Surrey :)

I looked at EFI online it looked a lot more complex than an engine swap?

4953 wrote:
ah, I hadn't realised that about the TR saloon box ... yes, it wouldn't be the first GT6 box that fell appart whilst I was driving!! (altho this one seems very sound at the mo) I'm in Elstead in Surrey :)

I looked at EFI online it looked a lot more complex than an engine swap?

If I can fit EFI anyone can!!!! It's easy once you get your head around it

Sorry, meant to get back to you on this - had a look at the weekend and it's far more dismantled than I'd remembered and I found rusty water in the sump!  Shame as I'd rebuilt it shortly before laying it up - must have happened during one of our many house moves.  Probably only any good now for spares...

Righty ho - so either way, EFI or 2.5 .. or .. both I guess I need to source a TR5 cam ... does anyone know if the cams at:

http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/Collection_Display.asp?mscssid=kqs6wtuppep18mtwul25xwwlkncb5xv8&CarType=TR5&CID=1379

Are any good?

.. looks like the TR5-6 PI ‘CP’ ... might be the one I'm after looking at http://t2000.kvaleberg.org/t_tune.html#camshaft ?