Clutch Diagnosis help please!

Rich L

Hi all

My 1500 spit (76) won't go into gear.  It was fine, then started crunching into some gears now impossible to engage unless the engine isn't running. Actual engagement is very low on the pedal.  No fluid leaks.

Bled clutch.  Was fine for a bit then started doing exacrly the same.

I was about to change the slave but do you think it could be the master?

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Rich

The only way a slave can fail hydraulically is by leaking fluid past the seal so if no leak there the problem could be with the master. Take off its cap and see what happens to the fluid level when you press the pedal. The secondary seal can pass so that instead of pumping fluid to the clutch its sent back into the reservoir....

Could be the slave also.  If the seal is dying they sometimes draw a bit of air as they return, which can then be cured by bleeding.  Usually show some sign of leakage though.

Other possibility is that the master cylinder piston is not moving freely and is not fully returning, which effectively reduces it's stroke.  Just had this issue on my car.

Nick

Also check the crankshaft pulley as the thrust washers can fall out allowing the crank to move forward too much which shows up as clutch mot disengaging properly. Check to see how much the crank pulley moves back and fore if more than a few thou this could be the problem. (happened to me on 2 cars and means an engine rebuild so I hope it's something else)

Quoted from Nick Jones

Other possibility is that the master cylinder piston is not moving freely and is not fully returning, which effectively reduces it's stroke.  Just had this issue on my car.

Often caused by a broken spring inside the master cylinder.