GTRoger

LEE_GODFREY wrote:
Matt
non airbag seats on original Alfa runners fit straight in, you just have to enlarge/ fabricate couple of  holes slightly.................................well on a MK1 you do.

The only disadvantage by using exisiting Alfa runners is that the seat does not go as far back as original Triumph ones. Saying that I am 6ft 1 and it suits me.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for clearing that up. You know how tall I am, so may be an issue for me. If I'd have thought about it a bit more, I'd have asked to have a sit in your car at the weekend! Hey ho, if I can find a set cheap enough, then maybe I'll take a punt :)

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Got seat no1 in. Took me quite a while because I couldn't get the holes in the floor align with the seat runners. Went for a different approach which turned out to be a lot easier. Will makes some photos when doing seat no2.

Lee, can't see why the seats don't go as far back as the original ones? Mine go fully back. Can't move fully forwards because the gearboxtunnel is in the way. Still far enough to sit comfortable though.

Done some more set fitting today,seems a very easy way of doing it
1) Remove alfa set runner from Alfa seat
2) drill out and remove the front captive nut, drilling it out it made it easier to knock off.

3) slot the hole. A small pilot hole then go up a few sizes

Both the above pics are from the passenger seat that does not have a height adjuster
This pic below is from the drivers seat showing then slotted hole

4) drill the hole for the back bolt
This is the drivers seat upside down with the back of seat nearest to you(hope that makes sence)

5) bolt the triumph runner to the Alfa seat. Two spacer nuts used to raise the seat slightly,you may get away with using one on the back but with two the Alfa seat is kissing the carpet when it's all fitted so that bit may be try and see !!
Back bolted up

Front bolted up

Leave all nuts loose !
6) to fit the other runner on the seat you again slot the front hole having removed the captive nut,then measure 15" for hole centres across the back bolts. Again leave the nuts loose !
7) put the seats into the car and bolt the runners down to the floor pan using the original bolts,then tighten all the nuts up !!!!

Once bolted down there is a finger width of space between the height adjuster and the floor when fully down,which is why you might be able to remove one of the spacer nuts if you require more head room

They are a tight fit on the width though
Handbrake side

Door side

Whole process one and a half hours  :)

The rear holes are only just a wee bit bigger than the studs so using nuts should be fine.
As you have pointed out Pete,using nuts on the slotted hole may have been a bad choice.
A quick phone call to the cars owner has resulted in him quoting "I'll fit decent washers between the runner and the spacer nut that could "pull through" I'll also fit a better washer to the nut that holds down the runner to the floor"

Well done Pete for spotting the deliberate mistake (whistle)

First seat I used the Alfa runners modified to suit the holes in the floor. Not too complicated although getting the holes aligned up is a bit of a pain. Space at the gearbox side is very limited so the seat can't move fully forward. It's just far enough to be comfortable. So carried on with the driver seat following the same procedure, though a bit more complicated because of the height adjustment. Gave up in the end as there isn't enough space for the seat to move forward because the height adjustment linkage is in the way. Started all over again, now using the Triumph runners, which is a lot less complicated. I took the seat apart to make work easy. Redrilled the holes in the aloy Alfa seat frame, made up some spacers and put it all together. Big plus is that the seat can be moved further to the front and fully to the rear. Also the driving position is slightly lower compared to the passenger seat that uses the Alfa runner.