Fitting Seatbelt Harness

Chambers

I know it wont be to everyones taste but my seatbelts are looking a bit raggy and I really fancy fitting a 3 or 4 point race harness in my Spitfire 1500. Does anyone have any experience of this and can you tell me how you mounted it or even better have some pics

I can't see how you can use the original "upper" mounting as it is offset. (3 point harness here)
it really needs to be high and central to the seat. And yes, with a decent roll bar as you won't be able to duck easily should you roll the car.

James1500 wrote:
Its only slightly off centre and when the belts are adjusted up hardly noticeable its also at a nice height pulling you down and into the seat, I do have the mx5 seats however so the belt sits nicely either side of the headrest

Its not what they look like ,its the effect when you come to an abrupt halt
My three point are fitted as follows
Eye bolts in lieu of the existing bolts in the tunnel and sill side floor bolts .So that two
The third: remove back board covering tank, create a square hole in the board, in line with seat centre
Drill and fit reinforced plates and eye bolts into bodywork going over the diff ( the raised portion just below the tank

Feed belt clasp through both square cut outs and refit board

One strap either side of the head rest and each strap from tunnel and floor, and there you are

Not only looks right but works right  

In certain environments (scrutineers) they have to be fitted correctly

Sorry, but I would want the rear mount dead central. Stuff like that can get critical.

I doubt the blue book has much about 3 point harnesses (doubt they are acceptable) but the top mount should be as close to horizontal as possible, and if that isn't possible wrap it over the roll bar (ie the roll bar needs a horizontal bar at an appropriate height) plus as central as possible. You do not want lop-sided forces when it goes pear-shaped.

That sounds like exactly what I am looking for, can you post pics of your set-up and also the fixing point at the rear. I know it's a pain taking the board off but it would really help (whistle)

michael_charlton wrote:

Its not what they look like ,its the effect when you come to an abrupt halt
My three point are fitted as follows
Eye bolts in lieu of the existing bolts in the tunnel and sill side floor bolts .So that two
The third: remove back board covering tank, create a square hole in the board, in line with seat centre
Drill and fit reinforced plates and eye bolts into bodywork going over the diff ( the raised portion just below the tank

Feed belt clasp through both square cut outs and refit board

One strap either side of the head rest and each strap from tunnel and floor, and there you are

Not only looks right but works right  

In certain environments (scrutineers) they have to be fitted correctly

I've got 3 point Sparco ones in mine, fited to original fixing points, They fit well but are a faff to adjust. I agree with the points raised about a central rear mount but other considerations have had to take priority. Even with it offset I'm convinced it would be better protection that the standard belts.

The only way you are really going to know for sure is find out the hard way unfortunately.

sparky_spit wrote:
I've got 3 point Sparco ones in mine, fited to original fixing points, They fit well but are a faff to adjust. I agree with the points raised about a central rear mount but other considerations have had to take priority. Even with it offset I'm convinced it would be better protection that the standard belts.

The only way you are really going to know for sure is find out the hard way unfortunately.

Any chance of some pictures Sparky just to see what its like with the offset