What hubs or centres for these wheels?

A TR7 16V

Does anybody know what hub cap or wheel centres are meant to fit these wheels I got as Spitfire 5.5" wide ones?

It's definitely not these:

Even though I got them on - with a bit of work. They at least cover the greasy ends of the halfshafts. But I've a feeling they may not last and they make it a bugger to get the nuts started - the nuts came with the wheels and they are 3/8-24, 17mm AF. Not 11/16ths AF.

There are some marks on the paint where something touched the edges of the indents round the nuts. But I can't get a good photo of them.

Graham

They are the correct centres.

The wheel nuts are wrong. You need the spitfire nuts, those look aftermarket type. 

If you have bigger diameter studs for the wheels, it is a case of trying to find something that will work, but the issue is the nuts, not the centres (from somebody who has been using those wheels and indeed centres for many years)

Quoted from cliftyhanger-

They are the correct centres.

The wheel nuts are wrong. You need the spitfire nuts, those look aftermarket type. 

If you have bigger diameter studs for the wheels, it is a case of trying to find something that will work, but the issue is the nuts, not the centres (from somebody who has been using those wheels and indeed centres for many years)

Ah. And no, the studs are standard 3/8 UNF, so standard nuts should fit. I'll see what I can find, but they're only on while I sort out the new(er) set of wires - I got them expecting a delay in finding a set and then they turned up 2 days later. The first set turned out to be getting spoke tension from the paint under the flanges and the nipples, and they won't tighten up anymore. I don't know they're dangerous for sure, but they're certainly noisy.

But I might want them again come the winter - they certainly make the road holding feel better, and running the wires through salt may not be a great idea, even with a good coat of hammerite.

Graham

The Spitfire nuts shouldn't be too hard to find as I'm pretty sure they were common to the high-line Dolomites. I used to have a drawer full - in fact I quite possibly still do - that I have no need of since none of my current fleet have that style of wheel any more.

Quoted from RobPearce-

The Spitfire nuts shouldn't be too hard to find as I'm pretty sure they were common to the high-line Dolomites. I used to have a drawer full - in fact I quite possibly still do - that I have no need of since none of my current fleet have that style of wheel any more.

I've been looking, and wonder if the 1850HL nuts are the same. Whatever, If you've got 8 nuts, what would you want for them?

Graham

If I can find eight of the grotty ones I thought I had then you could have them for the cost of postage. However, a quick dig in the drawer I thought they might be in has only produced what appears to be a bag of brand new flat-clamp nuts for alloys - possibly TR7 type, although it's also possible they're stainless steel ones for a Dolomite Sprint.

Oh wonderful. I just want covers for the rear wheel nuts- the Herald's front ones have domes and are okay.

Don't think I've seen stainless ones for the Sprint. They'll be 7/16ths I bet - my Sprint's a 73 one with the 3/8ths studs. Mind you, that does mean I can get new studs, just not nuts. I believe the problem is the other way round for the later Sprints with 7/16ths studs.

Graham

I don't think so! From memory, back when I had both a Sprint and a 2500S, the Sprint wheels have significantly smaller holes for the nuts to fit in. The S nuts are quite chunky, the Sprint ones much closer in size to the rest of the Dolomite range. With the 7/16" studs they end up quite thin wall.