Starter motor spacer

Davemate

Is there any way of knowing if spacer shims are needed for a 2.5 starter as I don't have any and I'm going to be useing a 6-3-1 exhaust manifold. I don't want to fit the starter and then have to remove the inlet and exhaust manifold as it turns out spacers should have gone in.
Shall I just wait and fit a couple and be done with it, if that's the case my convention is stalled until I get hold of some shims.
Radders said that there not always required but in 99% of the time they are

There's quite a few different spacers. Is this for a standard starter? Im sure you can get a pre engaged off and on with an extractor manifold. Inertia is no problem and ive taken a pre engaged off a tr5 with extractor manifold still attached. Dont think youll have a problem

570 wrote:
There's quite a few different spacers. Is this for a standard starter? Im sure you can get a pre engaged off and on with an extractor manifold. Inertia is no problem and ive taken a pre engaged off a tr5 with extractor manifold still attached. Dont think youll have a problem

Hi Darren,

Doesn't the TR5 6-3-1 manifold go straight down vertically, where as the big saloon 6-3-1 manifold leans back slightly to miss the steering link? When I changed the gearbox on Dave Jones Mk1 with 6-3-1 manifold I couldn't remove the pre engaged starter completely and just had to prop it out of the way.

I also never used to have a spacer on my hi-torque starter on Gertie, but then when I had it reconditioned had to fit one as it was no longer clearing the ring gear! Weird!

570 wrote:
My only recent experience is taking the inertia starter off and on the 2000 with witor extractor and sump guard. Works fine. Lighter than pre engaged as well and turns over the nearly 11. 1 comp fine.

Can you use an inertia starter on a 2.5 engine? (Dave asked me today and I didn't know)

The inertia starter is shorter than the pre-engaged by the look of it, so you would have more room to remove or fit it.

I may be wrong, but I thought the spacer was required to fit the non-pre-engaged started to the engine backplate, whereas the pre-engaged ones fitted without a spacer? I know that they fitted a range of starters to a range of engines in typical Triumph mix'n'match fashion. :)

Hello Dave,

if this query is still current, either measure the starter face to end of the pinion then the engine back plate to the edge of the flywheel ring gear if the first is less than the second you won't need a spacer, or else trial fit and turn the engine with a spanner to see if the starter catches the ring gear. For what it's worth, I have no spacer on my 2.5 engine with a pre engaged starter.

Alec