High torque starter motor

mrchill

I have never has issues with the std inertia starters, and they are very cheap (last new one was about £22 exchange) They do die sometimes, in fact had to swap one in my car earlier this week, but the old one was long in the tooth. However, they are clanky compared to pre-engaged starters.

There are many who have fitted the denso starters, sold as a kit by some of the traders. (canleys and others)

the main advantage of the geared starter is its a small high speed motor geared down to get the torque required,
for this you have very low current requirements and a high degree of output torque,
so it will start a cold stiff engine with a poor battery state and fling it over like fury compared to the bendix and pre engaged lucas units,  but at a much higher cost,  you can buy the adaptor plate and supply your own denso starter
form a scrappy, cutting a lot off the cost,   and  these  motors have have a good secondlife logivity.
its down to £££ and preference   Pete

Glad someone posted on this. I have looked at this option and see that canleys offer the adapter plates to fit your own. I am just wondering what cars have the Denso starters fieeted so I could get one used and do it myself. I think the High Torque option is well worth exploring and I'm very interested in doing it.

However I've just looked at Canley Classics website and see that they no longer offer the High Torque Starter motor kit or motor and the only other place I see doing this is Rimmerbros who sell the motor only. I am not going to pay nearly £200 so it is a shame Canleys don't offer the DIY kits still. :(

Ok Thanks for the reply :) Got a  questions though:

What does IIRC mean?

I searched the Forum and found this though: http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/73gt6br_tropperstarter.htm

So will look at this option seriously now :)

Thanks for your help!!!!  8)

nippon denso starters commonly used across a whole scattering of jap and euro boxes

tssc shop offers them as a kit £160 to members £192 non memebers
http://www.tssc.org.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=48&Itemid=59

pete

OK sa I eamiled Can;ey's and this was their response: "We withdrew the DIY Torque starter kits over a year ago when we ran out of sufficient starter front brackets (the front part of the Torque starter body) to machine. This was the exchange part of the kit, and despite charging a surcharge few customers sent them back in to us."

So I will have to use the method described in the web link and have my own front bracket machined by a local engineer. It is a shame they don't offer the DIY kits still.

The shame is that so many owners couldn't be *rs*d to return the old brackets.
Why should Canley's offer products at a loss?

I got a kit, found I had the wrong starter, found a hi-torque second hand for a song and Canleys took the kit back!
Top blokes, as they say!
John

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the market for a new Starter Motor as mine is definitely dieing a death. It's quite annoying actually!

It's a shame I didn't get to a Scrapyard today, I'll have to go next weekend, but I'll have a look around tomorrow as well (if somewhere is open).

Although part of me wants to go all out and get one of the High-Torque Starter Motors, they can command upwards of £140 so I'm trying to decide to go for one of those, or save my money! I worry about the buy twice issue that you sometimes get with second hand goods.

Kind Regards,

David Wilson

Spitfire1500 wrote:
I'm in the market for a new Starter Motor as mine is definitely dieing a death. It's quite annoying actually!

It's a shame I didn't get to a Scrapyard today, I'll have to go next weekend, but I'll have a look around tomorrow as well (if somewhere is open).

Kind Regards,

David Wilson

Hi David

I bought a recon one from a local motor factors for less than £30 last year - not worth getting 2nd hand. And yes, I did take the old one back.

Glen.

• 10 months later...

I fitted a high-torque starter to my GT6 recently (March 2012). To be precise, I got a local engineering firm to do it for me, because it wasn't easy to fit myself.
Although the basic change is probably not too diffficult, I have a six-branch exhaust manifold which lessens the space free for the fitting of the starter. It eventually went in OK, but the cable and electrical parts were rather near to the manifold and the engineer who did it thought that the starter might get fried by the heat.  He got around this very neatly by fitting some 'manifold blanket.' This is a heat-proof insulation material: not bad to look at (resembles a metallic blanket) that can cover the manifold around the problem area, and is held in place by ties or jubilee clips. It looks neat and tidy, and afterwards, the finger can be pressed close to the outside of the manifold with the engine running at full temperature. No risk to the new starter or its components. General underbonnet temperature is supposed to be lower also. Manifold blanket can be obtained from Moss & Co or any similar seller, and is a well-known tuning extra too, would you believe, because it (apparently) decreases the density of the hot exhaust gases. Dunno whether I believe it, but never mind!
Having installed the new starter, I wonder why I had ever kept faith with the Lucas item. Starting has been difficult for 30 years, ever since I bought my GT6 in 1980! Now it is straightforward, and general reliability has improved. Looking back, I do feel that I have probably gone through some unneccessary battery changes when the basic problem was not the battery, but the starter.

Maybe we can all look through our old useless spares...contact trade suppliers & see if they want the dynamos, alternators, brake calipers etc. etc. - might even get some money offered!
That way we're putting the raw materials for the reconditioned units, back into the system.
(There was an article, some while ago, I think, in Classic Car Weekly, about the national shortage of components to recondition - despite surcharges.....apparently, more & more people are just absorbing the charge & components don't get returned.....)

Archived