Electric fan again !

Davemate

I went to fit my fan today, but there is no room.
Herald with a 1500 it has a standard small rad and I bought a 10" slim fan.
As you'll see in the pics,
As it is now

See it won't fit

No room between rad and pump

So I can only fit in front of the rad instead of behind

I know it's best to fit it behind as to not restrict airflow
Do I just move the rad forward and fit longer hoses does it matter if the engine side pannels are not attached to the rad or will that render them useless in which case I'll remove them.
If I do fit it in front of the rad what would the effect(if any) of fitting it on a frame an inch or two In front or is it best fitted as close as possable and is that the same if it's fitted behind
Is a 10" fan to big should I swap it for a 8" one even with a 8" one ill still have the same issue as above

Our Old Austin Maestro 1275 had the fan fitted behind the radiator in-between it and the lower grill/valence. That was the standard set up from the factory and it never once over heated!

I dont see why the same couldn't be done here.  :)

Jordan

Dougthompson wrote:
Wouldn't a full width rad give you more area in which to locate the fan :)

It would give me a longer rad but not any more height or space between itself and the pump, and I have only just had it recored with a 3 core matrix !

Hello Dave,

fit it in front if you have the room, but you'll need the fan to blow rather than suck, maybe removing the fan blade and turning it over will do it.

"I know it's best to fit it behind as to not restrict airflow ". That is not true, it restricts as much behind the radiator as in front. Both disturb the airflow.

Alec

I really don`t see the need for an electric fan on a herald or spitfire, With a full width rad or like yours uprated normal size the normal engine fan does more than enough to keep them cool.
Saying that the fan you have doesn`t look like a slim one to me.

cheers andy

Steve
  That does look tight ! I must admit I only tried to roughly drop it in from the top
I will try and slot it in from the bottom tomorrow.
The standard rad matrix height is only about 9" as when I put the fan in front I would not fit flush on the matrix
it was being held out by the edges and the top and bottom tanks,hence the question about fitting to a frame an inch or so away

I should have got an eight inch fan really

willows40 wrote:
I really don`t see the need for an electric fan on a herald or spitfire, With a full width rad or like yours uprated normal size the normal engine fan does more than enough to keep them cool.
Saying that the fan you have doesn`t look like a slim one to me.

cheers andy

The standard set up now works too well
New recored rad and a propely working stat have dropped the temp from normal(the middle)down to the
1/3 mark
The car now runs on the weak side and if I change the mixture by even one half a flat it buggers up the nice smooth running  
So by fitting a electric,or more to point by removing the standard fan I am hopeing it will warm up quicker and a wee bit more as most of my journey to work is in traffic.
And when I removed the standard from an old series landrover I used to own the engine reved so much more freely I could not believe it and I'll need every bit of help when I start to some autosolo stuff this year !!
So yes Andy I would totally agree with you on that one if I was just useing it as a road car

The easiest soulotion is to mount the fan on the front of your rad, and just swap the wires over at the fan when wiring up. This will make it blow rather than suck, it will work fine as I have a similar setup on my herald.

:   )

To be honest I think for the money I spent on my setup, you cant't beat it it. Basically I got 2 7" universal fans from eBay for about £30. There mounted as one suck, and one blow on a full width radiator. There controlled by a cheap and easy thermostatic switch, with the sensor mounted in the top hose.

Sam93,
My cost so far is
£15  for the 10" fan
£10 for a thermostatic switch,which my mate is fitting to a spare thermostat cover
£0 for a relay I have one left over from other things
£0 wire same as above
£0 for a meter of copper pipe(to possably make a mounting frame)
Hopefully a nice and cheap install

I moved my radiator forward about 40mm (which also meant moving it downwards slightly to clear the bonnet) to fit a pair of electric fans behind the radiator. Two might seem overkill, but I live in a hot climate. I mounted the radiator on C-shaped brackets which o between the side valences and radiator. My fans are ducted too, meaning that all the fans pull air through the entire core, not just the section that the fan is attached to.

I haven't noticed any power gains, but the metal fan made a screaming noise at high rpm, which the electric fans don't have.

Last year I decided to remove my electric fan so I could prioritise getting the tuning perfect to prevent overheating at source. I got a strobe, marked the bottom pulley with white paint marks so I could better set the ignition timing. I replaced the vacuum advance tube and tweaked the carbs. It worked and even on the hottest day of the year she didn't boil over (I don't believe my current temperature sensing and gauging system)
However, if I was to use my Herald as daily transport, I would now refit the fan. Sitting in the inevitable traffic jams on a hot day would not be good for the engine or my sanity.
Personally I don't like the probes that go into the top hose. They make it hard to seal and inevitably impede water flow. I'd either go down the route of having a screw fitting in the radiator or a simple manual switch on the dashboard.
So I guess that my recommendation is to get the tuning right and make sure the cooling system is functioning as designed first. Then fit your fan(s)

Hello Dave,

"So by fitting a electric,or more to point by removing the standard fan I am hopeing it will warm up quicker"

As the fan is irrelevant when travelling at any reasonable speed, i.e not crawling in traffic, it won't improve warm up time. What temperature thermostat did you fit as it should run hotter than you say (assuming the gauge is giving a fair approximation of temperature?) Given adequate radiator and fan performance which it sounds as if you have it is the thermostat that controls the engine temperature.
Personally I have removed the mechanical fan and have a Kenlowe mounted in front of the radiator. It's worked well for about nine years or so.

Alec

Alex,
When I go to work I pull out of my road onto a high street the road also has two schools on it so it's stop start solid trafic for a couple of miles.
The car used to have an 88 stat it now has an 82 one fitted
The temp gauge used to sit bang on the middle and rise a bit if caught in traffic(once warm)
Now the gauge sits at the 1/4 mark and when in traffic it will only rise a tiny winnie bit
With the fan removed I am hoping the car will warm up quicker when I am sitting in the traffic going to work
I am thinking of putting a hotter running stat back in as well  

Jez,
    The fact that the engine is running cooler has screwed my tuning up a bit,well it seems to have.
It now seems to be running to weak at various spots in the rev range and if I enrichen the mixture then that is bugggering up the general running compleatly across the revs

Nick,
That's what I will probably do,make two c type  brackets.
On my old landy when I removed the fan it made the engine rev from tickover much more
freely than before, I don't know if there are noticable power gains as such it was just it reved more freely.

Hello Dave,

in those circumstances changing the fan could help, although the thermostat stays closed for a short while anyway. Try going back to the 88 degree thermostat but just be aware that is the temperature at which it starts to open and it's another 8 to 10 degees before it's fully open.

Alec

logicaluk wrote:
id start by changing the stat back to 88 deg & see what diffrence that makes.
Dan

The temp gauge dropped when i changed the water pump and rad.
As everyone has said its the stat that controls the temp which is why I changed it.
The book states that the standard stat is an 82 which is what I bought,on removing the old one I found out it had an 88 installed.
The new rad,the old one recored but with a three core matrix I would have thought would cool the coolant quicker but it is the stat that sets the engine temp and not the rad
As I said earlier the temp dropped I then checked and fitted a cooler stat which has kept the gauge at the same lower temp
So I am thinking that the old stat was knackered and the old rad matrix must have been not up to scratch/partially blocked

1337 wrote:

I do not believe that electric fans cause quicker warm-up.  This is controlled mainly by the themostat.

Contrary Views?

C.

Welll the mechanical fan blows a lot of cold air across the engine even when idling in traffic - so removing it means the block warms up quicker - however I suspect it makes very little difference in practice although my Spitfire is now at normal running temperature halfway to work rather than as I get here since I removed mechanical fan. Thats also changing to a full width rad. I think the electric fan has only come on once since then.
Main advantage of moving to electric fan is freeing up that extra torque to go to the back wheels rather than pushing air around when not needed.  ;D

Archived