spit 1500: leaf spring

WIMPUS

hello!

i've bought a new leaf spring a time ago ,

i've seen today that there is a plate that goes in between the under leaf of the spring ..
Do you need to take the spring apart for that plate ?

And how to remove the spring, just remove the bolts at the side and the bolts on the diff ?

Kind regards Wim

4526 wrote:

there is a plate that goes in between the under leaf of the spring ..
Kind regards Wim

Not sure what you mean by this mate.

I haven't removed the spring from a Spit, so am willing to be corrected but I think you need to:

1. Loosen the wheel nuts, jack it up and put axle stands securely under the chassis so the wheels hang down.
2. Remove the wheels.
3. Remove the lower shock bolts and pull the shocks off the lower mounts leaving them attached at the top.
4. Remove the spring to vertical link bolts, will need to tap them out probably.
5. Remove the panel behind the seats
6. Remove the plate over the differential (good idea to do 6 & 7 before jacking up actually)
7. Undo the 4 studs holding the spring and top plate to the diff
8. Pull the spring out of one side of the car.

Hope this helps

Glen

Freebird wrote:

Not sure what you mean by this mate.

I haven't removed the spring from a Spit, so am willing to be corrected but I think you need to:

1. Loosen the wheel nuts, jack it up and put axle stands securely under the chassis so the wheels hang down.
2. Remove the wheels.
3. Remove the lower shock bolts and pull the shocks off the lower mounts leaving them attached at the top.
4. Remove the spring to vertical link bolts, will need to tap them out probably.
5. Remove the panel behind the seats
6. Remove the plate over the differential (good idea to do 6 & 7 before jacking up actually)
7. Undo the 4 studs holding the spring and top plate to the diff
8. Pull the spring out of one side of the car.

Hope this helps

Glen

hi glen,

look at part number 149189 the plate ..
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005746

Kind regards Wim

4526 wrote:

hi glen,

look at part number 149189 the plate ..
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005746

Kind regards Wim

OK, understand now, thanks. However, I don't know the answer to your question. You will soon find out whwn you get it off the car though.

I changed mine 2 years ago, has to be the easiest suspension change i have ever done, it was sooooooooooooooo easy, i think what freebird said is all there is to it, think it took me about 30mins, was expecting much longer but all came apart really easily.

Rich

Wim,
Yes you have to loosen the bolts holding the spring together a tad.
I think I only have loosened the bolts most toward the center, left the others on. But then it is a long time ago.
You dont have to loosen them to remove the spring though, pulling out the 4 bolts holding it to the diff through the inspection hatch is enough
And dont forget to put the bushing in also. (Basically thats what makes your spring pivot) , and those fiddly plastic pads!

Cheerz
Dirk

i did this last year,
loosen the inner leaf clamps, then a strong screw driver to prize the leaves apart will get the spacer and bush in.
new plastic pads will be in the spring
removing the lower shock mount will make it easier to get the spring out

• 2 weeks later...

just take off the clamp off that holds the top leaf on, throw it away
split the bottom 2 leafs with a strong screw driver or crow bar put in the tube and plate
put it back on, then after a bit of use it will settle, the ride height will look a little high for a short while

2972 wrote:
just take off the clamp off that holds the top leaf on, throw it away
split the bottom 2 leafs with a strong screw driver or crow bar put in the tube and plate
put it back on, then after a bit of use it will settle, the ride height will look a little high for a short while

Yes i Know about the clamp ;) i just not removed it because i want to hold it together till i installed it  :)

The top spring seems to be an original, I spotted the same differences on my springs.  On the aftermarket spring the bottom spring is flat on the original it is concave, I think this is more design than age.  I have replaced the rubbers on the original spring I have and intend fitting to see what the difference is, it may well sit lower.  My after market spring is about 10 years old and has covered about 80000 miles, the orignal is from a spares car and has about 90000 miles.

Archived