Spitfire 1500 new wheels - Ideas?

Contente

Hi everyone!

I am looking for opinions, experiences and photos of spitfire that have different wheels. I bought my car 6 months ago and now came the time to do something with the wheels. Its a red spitfire 1500

I have the romantic dream of putting some wired wheels on my car, something like this:
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005757
Specially tubeless versions if possible, I think Moss has some tubeless wired ones.
However, I believe its not going to look nice there. Does anyone has them on a 1500.

the other option could be the 8 spoke alloys like these ones http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005754 .

At last resort, I could just align and paint mines and perhaps do something else with them... don't really know what.

any thought? What ideas do you have for my spitty?

Thank you guys,

Frederico

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also like the current look. I would refurb the exisisting set and think about buying GT6 chrome centres to match your embellisher rings.
Maybe think about doing the wheels a darker silver or even black as a nice contrast to the chrome. Or, even go with a Classic Mercedes look and paint the wheels body colour. That would also look nice with the whitewalls. Is she Carmine red?

5069 wrote:
The main reason is that the ride now is not very nice. The tires bend a lot in corners and I would like to put a bit more grip and stiffness with some nice tubeless tires.

And also give it a good look. At least this was my main point.

If you think the wheels flex a lot in the corner now you wouldn't like wires.

Few different wheels featured in this thread.

[Sorry, link no longer available]

Personally my favourites are Nick Moore's 15" Revolutions, but suspect they won't be yours.

Bradley.

Yes, she is Carmin Red. Love the color!

I have just seen the centers you are talking. It can be an option if I refurb these wheels.
What kind of good tyres are we talking? do you have any brand/model in mind for tube tyres?
I believe I will try to go for some 175/60 r13 or something similar. At the moment I have 155.

5069 wrote:
Yes, she is Carmin Red. Love the color!

I have just seen the centers you are talking. It can be an option if I refurb these wheels.
What kind of good tyres are we talking? do you have any brand/model in mind for tube tyres?
I believe I will try to go for some 175/60 r13 or something similar. At the moment I have 155.

There is some discussion on tyres sizes and makes in the thread I just linked to.

What size wheels have you got 4.5j, 5j or 5.5j?

Bradley.

4992 wrote:
If you think the wheels flex a lot in the corner now you wouldn't like wires.
Bradley.

Because of course you'd feel them moving around and bending on even the slightest curve. (whistle)
You mustn't tease your Uncle Smithy Bradley (Wim's doing that already!!).
That's an old wives tale perpetuated by people who don't have wires on their cars.

smithy wrote:

Because of course you'd feel them moving around and bending on even the slightest curve. (whistle)
That's an old wives tale perpetuated by people who don't have wires on their cars.

i'm very sorry smithy  :B  ;)

4992 wrote:

There is some discussion on tyres sizes and makes in the thread I just linked to.

What size wheels have you got 4.5j, 5j or 5.5j?

Bradley.

That is a good question. I have to be honest that I don't know and don't really know how to check it... shame on me, yeah, I know :)

smithy wrote:

Knew you'd pipe up if I insulted wires, maybe if you drove the car properly you would notice the flex. ;)

Contente, have a check of what size wheels you've got as this will dictate what size tyres you can stick on.

I'm running 175/70s on 5.5j steelies at the moment, they're alright but not fantastic but think this is more due to the suspension set up and old tyres at the moment.

My Dads Spitfire was running 155/80s on 4.5j Slot mags, this handled fantastic but again this was partly down to polybushed/lowered suspension.

This is an interesting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KWU1qlfIM

Although it is obviously about an Elan Harry Metcalfe mentions the 4.5j wheels on 155 tyres in the video and how great the car handles on this wheel/tyres combo. In fact he goes on to say that the bigger wider wheels/tyres upset the cars handling.

Bradley.

I will check it the wheel size later on and I will start to check companies to refurb my wheels and some new rubber for tube tyres.

I will still consider to change wheels because like I said, I have this romantic dream about he wires...  :o

Don`t listen to these black country folk....
I`ve experienced them all ,originals,wires etc
Yes the wires look lovely ......if you want to stand back and just look at the car...yes they do flex and you are limited to certain offsets
I had a way of cleaning wires that took no time at all and they gleamed all year round
However if you want to `uses` the car get larger rims and smaller wall tyres, then the car goes round corners stuck to the road like blueberries in maple syrup(sounds better then S to a B)
I have 14" rims with 60 walls and they are perfect
................and no , Smithy .....the car is not for sale

My car had wires when I bought it. They were new.
Finally got rid of them after the 2nd motorway blow out.
Hard to maintain, hard to get tyres fitted, wobble all over the place and ruin the handling.
Now have 4 spoke revolutions. They look better and utterly transform the handling!!

BrendanD wrote:
My car had wires when I bought it. They were new.
Finally got rid of them after the 2nd motorway blow out.
Hard to maintain, hard to get tyres fitted, wobble all over the place and ruin the handling.
Now have 4 spoke revolutions. They look better and utterly transform the handling!!

Photo? I have also bought revo's but they are still not fitted to mine :p
Spit is undergoing a restoration :p

Brendan - someone saw you coming there then mate. Sounds like your "new" wheels were reject rubbish fitted by a ham-fisted idiot, and so were the inner tubes. Pity! To use that experience to opine about wires generally is wrong though. I went out with a woman once who didn't want to sleep with me. VERY strange I know, but that one incident didn't put me off women. Much.

And to suggest that if you drive "properly" Bradley, you can flex wire wheels noticeably enough to tell from the drivers seat, is insulting not just to me but to the intelligence of anyone who reads it - a fairy tale worthy of the Princess and the Pea level of fiction.
Still, you're not listening and I'm not here to persuade you, so you can have the 'Hugh' role on this one - there's a vacancy!

Wires - pretty but more fragile than steels and alloys and not available in a wide range of sizes. I'm not wedded to them - I've had steels, revo's and mangels on my Spit, but I've experience of wires on five different cars (including my V8 MG and my V12 E-type) - and I've been banned twice for driving like a knob, so I know they're difficult to destroy. Alrighty?

If you don't like them, don't buy them. Simple!   :)