Early 5.5J's - What Colour Wheels?

mikeyb

The 5.5J steelies on my Mk1 have suffered a bit with the winter salt, so I'm thinking about having them blasted and powder-coated.   I love them in white but had always wondered if white wheels on a white car was too much!  Therefore I have toshed up a pair with a silver rattle can just to see how they look. I'm undecided - what do you think?

Silver/light grey - very similar idea I guess, but I can see where you are coming from with a non-metallic colour Tim. I did ponder a different white to the car or maybe even a cream or honeysuckle perhaps.  Maybe another rattle can is called for!  

Your car being from 67 should be (spa???) white, don't think the later silver suits it tbh. But then I like to keep some things original.

I've done my originals in Ford Diamond white as recommended by someone on here (or on t'other side?), sorry I can't remember who ::) Anyhow they look the business, closest to original I've seen, just chucking my opinion your way,

Cheers,

Alex

The car is code 19 Triumph White, and was originally supplied with wire wheels. I'm guessing you mean that original steelies from that year would have been Spa?  I seem to recall some earlier threads concerning Spa wheels (Herald forum maybe?) but can't remember how it compared to Triumph White.  Good tip re Diamond White though, should be easy to get!

Spa is slightly creamy, but not as creamy as White 19. The point is a little moot I suppose, having seen five Triumphs painted White 19 in one place, and no two of them matched......
Nevertheless, expect the colours to be quite different, enough to look like you got it wrong rather than what the factory intended. Silver (or another contrast) would get around the issue,

Cheers,
Bill.

Want me to get really poncey with my answer? No? Tough.

I voted white but would prefer a warm cream colour, if you're keeping the chrome hub caps. Painting them silver loses the hub caps and it looks like you've tarted up some duff wheels with a rattle can... The chrome makes white wheels look colder to the eye. Cream makes them look aged and counter-acts the chrome.

;)

I voted 'other' Mike, cream or off white would be my choice.

Agree with fernster above but also the colour of the car matters , this dark car does not suit the cream, white cars suit white/cream wheels....all in my own opinion...everybody to their own and all that :)

Mine are off-white, in fact Hammerite Magnolia - the only time Hammerite has been near my car. It's a straight brush-on from the tin job and a very very close match to the original. Ten years that temporary paint job has lasted!
However it's very much a moot point as I've fitted the original wheel trims so you can hardly see the wheel colour....

ferny wrote:
I didn't realise GT6's had those trims. Saloons, yes.

Rostyles factory fitted on Mk2 Gt6, silver trim [with slots] as above I believe was optional extra on Mk2 & 3 Spitfires.

He's my spare wheel in Ford Diamond White, maybe too white? Looks nice but as I've only done one of my 5 I may try another shade?

Alex