kristian

beautiful GT6 - I am interested in this discussion as well - I want to go to 14" wheels (perhaps 5.5" front and 6" rear) - I don't mind stagger since I don't need to rotate.

I also want to know what will fit well in terms of offset for those widths (I cut out the Mk2 inner shock mounts on the wheel well, so I have more room - I use the rimmer extensions)

For the MkIII the standard offset is 0.88" or 22mm (don't believe the websites that say 0.5")
I would think the early cars would be the same?

There's no reason to put bigger wheels on the back with all the weight up front unless you're going drag racing :)

honestly, I just want it for looks. the skinnes are just way too far in there and not nearly flush enough with the fender lip, in my opinion. It has always annoyed me.

(by the way, my GT6 will see a good bit of autocross duty, so I would think that slightly beefier rubber in the rear would assist with traction powering out of corners.)

royboy66 wrote:

you'll want some Revs on that then! :)

I'd love some on my GT6 Mk2 but where can you buy them? A few places advertise them but they are always on 'back-order'. I've contacted Revolution directly and they are not making any 13x5J (not sure about other sizes) because the tooling is worn out, a new die is being made and they expect to start production in the autumn, but they didn't say which autumn!! Incidently the new wheels will use the standard 60deg taper nuts rather than shank nuts.

Ok
I'm having second thoughts about the wolfrace option, too many sizes!
I have however got a nice set of (what I have been told) are steel 5 1/2" wheels, but the tyres are perished, they are 165s. Can I get away with a slightly wider tyre?

The wheel offset on the 5.5" steel wheels people call GT6 wheels, are incorrect- certainly as compared to the 4.5" wheels and as such can cause wheelarch fouling issues. They didn't on my mk3 GT6 and I think they look just as good on the early cars.
I would put the car on the ground and let it settle/use the car on the 5.5" steels and see how the tyre clearence to the wheelarchs are, before splashing on new rubber.  :)

"Nevermind the quality, feel the width", may be entirelly eroneous here. Quality 175/70 compounds on 13" 5.5" wheels should be more than enough to give you all th traction you need.
Lets face it, on PI you wont be going very far anyway ;)! ( only a joke!!)

tim_trinda wrote:

I'd love some on my GT6 Mk2 but where can you buy them? A few places advertise them but they are always on 'back-order'. I've contacted Revolution directly and they are not making any 13x5J (not sure about other sizes) because the tooling is worn out, a new die is being made and they expect to start production in the autumn, but they didn't say which autumn!! Incidently the new wheels will use the standard 60deg taper nuts rather than shank nuts.

ive got some revs on my GT6 mk2, they look they part  ;D i was able to purchase mine from rimmers, they are 13/5.5j it seems to fit the bill nicely.

175/70 13 tyres are ideal for the GT6. I think larger tyres are wasted, GT6 is a relatively light car.

I used to run the 5.5J steels on mine, had to do some light relief work to the front wheel arches-no issue otherwise.

I now have 5.5J Revolutions (My 2nd set), good wheels which have the advantage of letting lots of air into the brakes.

Lots of red coloured mk2s.

Please do not scrimp on cheap tyres, remember these are the only contact between road and car-think safety (Apols for stating the obvious).

He he - mine took a wire wire-wheeling before I got to the size inprint - about three coats of Hammerite had covered them over.

I believe that the 5J's were fitted to late Spit 1500's, and the 4.5J's were standard on the mkIV and early 1500's, as well as MkIII GT6's. The 5.5J's came from Formula Ford.