Spoke wheels on GT6

MarkB

I have a Mk2 GT6 and a set of original spoke wheels that originally came on my Spit Mk3. I was thinking of putting them on the GT6. I have a new set of Yokohama 165 70 tyres on the Gt6 and was wondering if can you just fit tubes in these tyres or is there a problem as these are tubeless. I have the original dunlop inner tubes no patches or perishing, proper old rubber that I was going to use. Also I think there is a little wear to the splines visible on the adapters but the splines in the wheels look ok so i was going to get a new set of splines from chic. whats your thoughts?
Thanks

Mark  

I would think that the yokohamas are not to be used with tubes being that they are radials and their construction is not suitable.

it was acceptable to use tubes on crossplys back in the day though.
to me it seems a paradox to use performance tyres on wire wheels,but that is just my opinion :)

Hello Mark,

if you want the purgatory of difficult cleaning and extra maintenance, fine.

Most tyres are not strictly speaking suitable for tubes as the inner ridges can chafe the tube and cause a puncture. Practically thousands of cars run radial tyres with tubes and would seem to be fine. Some wire wheels do not need tubes but the majority, especially older wheels, do.

I've only ever owned one car with wire wheels (hence my first comment), but had no problems with tubed radial tyres.

Alec

With 20 odd pounds per square inch of pressure holding the tube against the tyre, it is difficult to imagine there would be any movement, but with butyl tubes there could be a problem as these tubes will fatigue fracture when held bent sharply as could occur over the ridges on the inside of tubeless tyres.
Natural rubber tubes do not have this problem so you should have no problems Mark.

I would agree that my car's feel tightened up when I went from my 40 year old wires (with 175 X 70 X 13 tires) to new alloys 14 X 6 alloys (185 X 60 tires) but much of that may have been to the shorter sidewall height and larger contact patch.

As handsome as they were on the car, I decided that wires looked better on roundtails whereas the overall more modern squaretail was better suited to alloys, so I sold them to a neighbor with a 68 GT6.
In retrospect, I should have kept the wires for show, alloys for go.

Docman - shame to have lost you!
I reckon - unless it's a bit "Princess and the Pea" (which it might be of course) - your impression's much more likely to be based on the change in tyres than wheels as you say. But what do I know.
Re: Roundtails - naaaa, they all look the same.

1218 wrote:
Flexible wheels on an already flexible car?  Are you sure?

Mark

In the real world driving at legal speeds the difference between spoked wheels and alloys would be negligible. I have driven both, no difference. Worn spines lose spokes would cause problems as would a warped alloy or steal wheel.

Mark

Hey Docman yep they are the very same as smithys, used all year round sun, rain, snow. Occasionally pressure washed and greased, will happily sit at 70-80 on the motorway without shaking the car to pieces (now that they are properly balanced). Always fancied a centre laced set and picked them up as a set of 5 with as new tyres hubs, spinners and nuts for a bargain price on fleabay