Minilite wheel nuts

Rychu

Hi, has anyone had to fit different wheel nuts after fitting minilite wheels?

The nuts that came with them only go on about 4 turns on the back wheels and rather than having to fit longer studs would a different nut solve this?

Richard

Not sure if the studs are different lengths from mk3 GT6 to spit 1500..... Are yours 'genuine' wheels or the 'look-a-likes'..?

Thinking back, again i am talking 'genuine' minilites, had them fitted on a 1500 back in the day and dont recall an issue...

Does sound like too short a stud or the wheel thickness too thick...

I have 'genuine' minilites fitted and use the chromed closed nuts that come with - most certainly a lot more than 4 turns with standard studs on rear (fronts are CC's hubs)

I am currently trying to source some Stainless ones, but it is proving difficult...

Let me know if you need any measurements...

has the car had wire wheels fitted? they use short studs, so could be the issue.
But if you only get 4 turns, unless you machine the wheels to take a very different type of nut you need longer studs. How far do they stick out from the hub?

I think the wheels are just minilite copies and as far as I know the studs are original.
Previously the standard steel wheels were fitted.
If the studs were 10mm to 15mm longer they would be ok.

Does anyone know of a stud that is approx 15mm longer than the originals?
Also what is involved in removing and refitting?

Thanks for all your help

Richard

Quoted from Rychu
I think the wheels are just minilite copies and as far as I know the studs are original.
Previously the standard steel wheels were fitted.
If the studs were 10mm to 15mm longer they would be ok.

Does anyone know of a stud that is approx 15mm longer than the originals?
Also what is involved in removing and refitting?

Thanks for all your help

Richard

Hi richard, normally Jigsaw racing do sell longer studs, also rimmers sell them (they get them from jigsaw.. ) 🙂

Quoted from Richard B
Are they the right nuts for the wheels?

Earlier Minilites have sleeve nuts that go through the wheel.

Later Minilites (and copies) have dished recesses for tapered wheel nuts.

...and when I had my Minilites ,they told me the stud hole taper (and nuts) were a different angle to most other wheels
So you thought you were tightened up, but only on a portion of the nut surface

Quoted from Velocita Rosso

...and when I had my Minilites ,they told me the stud hole taper (and nuts) were a different angle to most other wheels
So you thought you were tightened up, but only on a portion of the nut surface

The nuts were supplied with the wheels so i can only assume they are correct.

I think I will get the 47mm studs that Jigsaw sell, will I have to remove anything (other than the old studs 🙂 ) to fit them?

Richard

To fit longer studs on the front you have to remove the, calipers atec and front front discs and part them from the hubs ,insert new studs refit hub to disc and replace all.
The rear, sometimes you can get the old out knocking through, the carefully turning thehub till you can manipulate a stood at a time through the brake mechanism and into the flange
Not hard but fiddly

VR beat me to it!

Fitting the rear studs can be a bit of work, to do it "right" you need a hub puller. (although IIRC some people drill the back-plate and then put a grommet in)
fronts are easy enough, hubs off, split the hub and the disk, knock the old studs out, put the new ones in, re-assemble.

Quoted from yorkshire_spam
VR beat me to it!

Fitting the rear studs can be a bit of work, to do it "right" you need a hub puller. (although IIRC some people drill the back-plate and then put a grommet in)
fronts are easy enough, hubs off, split the hub and the disk, knock the old studs out, put the new ones in, re-assemble.

You can do it without puller and when you manouvre the new stud into the flange, line up the stud splines and the use a spacer and wheel nut to draw the studs into the flange
As Sam says you can remove flange with puller to insert the new studs if you do not have patience.....but it adds a a little time on to the job

Thanks for all the advice chaps. Much appreciated.

Have ordered the longer studs from Jigsaw and hopefully will be able to fit them this weekend 🙂
First purchase from them and the chap on the phone was very helpful.

Regards

Richard