Water Pump Repair

Andymoltu

About to bite the bullet and change my leaky water pump.
Never done one on a Stag before.

Where would you get one from? (not sure if it is a 6 or 12 vane until I get it off). EJ Ward are a few miles up the road from me so that was the plan.

A couple of questions about the procedure itself.

Do you need to remove the carbs from the inlet manifold? Or can you remove the manifold with carbs still attached.
Workshop manual suggests loosening the head bolts on one side when refitting the manifold. Sounds a recipe for a head gasket failure to me but would appreciate the advice of those who've done it before.

Andy

Removing the carbs from the manifold  is one bolt so no harm in removing the carbs.
Dont undo the head bolts.
I had a tough time getting the manifold back on . It still leaks a little.

I've heard of different thickness manifold  gaskets available so check.

Check the threads  in the heads for soundness where the manifold attaches to. You may want to consider heli coils.  

Sujit

Firstly do NOT loosen of the heads. No need to.
I would repair your water pump rather than go for a new one as there were a batch of faulty new water pumps on the market. Check out LD Parts website, good info and can supply the parts you need, may be worth giving the helpful Peter at LD Parts a call.

LD Parts gets my vote for parts.

or you could fit a blanking plug and an EWP. You wont have to disturb the inlet manifold in future. Of course fitting an EWP leads to other work. (moving alternator, re-plumbing the  heater, wiring in aDigital controller)

On the plus side the EWP has other benefits.

LD parts supply a repair kit with a non standard Jaguar (I think?) seal that eliminates the issue of wear/corrosion on the seal face of the impellor which leads to seal failure and leakage.  It does necessitate dismantling of the pump and you will need to find someone with a lathe to machine a small amount off the impellor (detailed instruction/dimensions included) but worth doing in my opinion.  You could of course just strip and rebuild with a standard seal, then no machining required.

I've been running a modified pump in my Stag now for several years with no issues.

The main reason for overhaul vs replacement is that some years ago a faulty batch of remanufactured pumps were released into the market, these had poorly hardened drive gears which had a tendency to strip, damaging the jackshaft and releasing swarf etc. into the oilways.  Occasionally one will turn up, but with no way to tell apart from a good one until it fails!

Quoted from mikeyb
... You could of course just strip and rebuild with a standard seal, then no machining required ...

It is advised to always machine the mating face of the pump's impeller lightly, as this face is prone to corrosion. Especially when the car's not used on a regular base.

I would recommend fitting the ceramic "polo" as it gives a none-rusting and hopefully permanent smooth surface. Just needs a few mm taking off.
In fact Martin, you have been involved with doing just that on my Toledo pump (slant engine fitted)

When I rebuilt my engine I found the pump and seals were OK but the sealing face on the impellor was corroded and pitted.
I simply machined off a bit in a lathe until I had a fresh clean surface.  I didn't take much material off, maybe 0.2-0.3mm.
This I then treated to a wear resistant semi ceramic coating, about 0.08mm thick.  Any loss in height is made up for via the spring.
The rest of the impellor was also treated after being bead blasted.  Did the work in 2003 and has been fine since.

Julian

Quoted from Martins Spitfire
... is it as simple and putting it in a lath and facing it off to get a smooth surface ...

As Julian already stated it indeed is just a matter of skimming the corroded/pitted part of the mating face.
Most time was spent getting the alignment of the impeller in the lathe correct!

Quoted from RobPearce
I don't recall for certain whether the Stag is the same, but on my 1850 Dolomite I found the worst culprit for leaks around there was the O-rings on the little bypass pipe between the pump housing and the manifold.

I hope there isn't an O ring or I have missed it!

• 2 weeks later...

Update - took it all apart as it seemed to be the water pump.
Sent the pump back to Tony Hart who checked it over and replaced the top seal although he was unconvinced there was much amiss.

Put it back together - this time just a bit of wet in the v but settled by the time I had done a 90 mile round trip.

• 9 months later...

I had a devil of a job getting the inlet manifold gaskets to seal. This could be your problem area rather than the pump. The two rear gaskets are the worst. Definitely not Triumphs best design...

The root cause of my problem was that the inlet manifold faces were not "True". I realized this, when the manifold would rock in-situ before I fitted the bolts. I had the faces machined and used Well-Seal on the gaskets.

• 1 year later...

Haven't updated things for a while but as you might guess the pump still leaks. Hoped it had reduced with time but had a short week on the Isle of Wight and got through a gallon of coolant in just over 500 miles. Have a header tank so able to monitor the level and avoid overheating. But enough is enough. If it hadn't stopped leaking after 3000 miles it clearly wasn't going to.

Decided to nip up to EJ Ward who are only a few miles from me and seek their advice.

This was enlightening. We all know of the concerns regarding the repro pumps and their propensity to chew up the drive gear and ultimately the jackshaft, however what I wasn't aware is that the only seals that have been available for some time now are a pile of poo.

Every one talks about the seal that benefits from the ceramic insert but the real problem is that the repro seal is the wrong shape. The originals were cylindrical and have to be carefully inserted with a fair amount of pressure. The current supplied one is conical so only really has a small contact area to make a seal. Apparently they are looking to get the original remade in India so that customers can rebuild their own original pumps but until that time it's a case of hope the kit seals, try a repro pump and hope it doesn't root your engine or fit an external water pump and blank off the block where the original fits. They don't fit the repro pumps as they don't want the risk of destroying an engine.

Booked it in for early October for an external electrical pump to be fitted as I can't face taking the manifolds off for a 4th time and doing the job myself.