Vitesse  engine twin or single valve springs?

slate

I am currently building  a Mk2 vitesse engine which has a 308778 cam and a 517528 head.
This head has single springs where all the parts lists I can find show the vitesse  having twin springs?
My question is do I have the wrong head or did they swop to single springs at some point ?
Or could it have been previously built using single instead of double springs?

The head also has a dab of yellow paint on it if that helps?

Its less a case of what you have, more what you want.

Double springs aren't for extra strength, by using two with different stiffnesses,  the frequency at which they will resonate is multiplied and the valve bounce inhibited in the rev range usable by the engine.   So if you intend to rev your engine,double spring it.     If you dont no need to change.

John

Thanks for the replies

I was mainly concerned that what I have is correct and not a lash up, but as i'm  sure the engine has been reworked once already (020" Pistons & 010" crank ) and the head looks like it has unleaded seats (slightly proud on exhaust valves) albeit they are  somewhat burnt and pitted especially no 2 whose spring was upside down.

It appears that most engine Re-manufactures re-build to the latest spec which appears to be single spring and as iv'e no intention of going racing etc i think i will stick to standard specs.

My Vitesse also has single springs because the engine rebuilder who converted it to unleaded (for the previous owner) changed it over. The other (questionable) benefit of single springs is that they leave room for valve stem oil seals. But our cars don't really need them.

Quoted from JohnD
Its less a case of what you have, more what you want.

Double springs aren't for extra strength, by using two with different stiffnesses,  the frequency at which they will resonate is multiplied and the valve bounce inhibited in the rev range usable by the engine.   So if you intend to rev your engine,double spring it.     If you dont no need to change.

John

John - on a rebuilt and balanced 1500 engine that's unlikely to go north of 5000/5500 rpm very often, I was planning on using single Jaguar springs. Do you reckon that rev limit is acceptable for single springs?