2500S Engine - Confused

Bradley1500

On the BHP figures from James' site.

My very early MK2 2000 engine is at 84BHP, of the flat top piston variety.

If I put in a GT6 cam and the relevant bobweights etc then I would be able to achieve the GT6 power as quoted of 98BHP (both DIN I imagine).

If so then the engine would have the same power output as the 2500TC all bar 1BHP.

Have I got that right?

I understand it won't have the same torque but it would have more than the standard MK2 2000 engine as well?

In fact, doing some further calculations, because of the car's lower weight it'sBHP/tonne would be 83 whilst the 2500S was 85 and that was one of the quickest wasn't it?

Quoted from Raider
On the BHP figures from James' site.

My very early MK2 2000 engine is at 84BHP, of the flat top piston variety.

If I put in a GT6 cam and the relevant bobweights etc then I would be able to achieve the GT6 power as quoted of 98BHP (both DIN I imagine).

If so then the engine would have the same power output as the 2500TC all bar 1BHP.

Have I got that right?

I understand it won't have the same torque but it would have more than the standard MK2 2000 engine as well?

Martin that is pretty much correct

Bradley,

For what it's worth, I've got a six pot mounted length ways on one of those small stands, and it does the job. They are better suited for gearboxes as they feel a bit unstable, but that said, I've never actually knocked it over (yet).

I've also got a chunkier sealey one http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPage.....p;requiredresults=16 and they are much better.

Quoted from Bradley1500

Also has anyone used one of those engine stands I linked to earlier?

Bradley.

I have done 3 ro 4 engines on one now.

You need to get a sacrificial backplate if you want to do it properly or you can't get to the rear oild seal hpusing with it on the stand,

cHEERS

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

"Sacrificial back plate"
I agree with Colin, I'd never use that backplate on an working engine.
So cut a bigger hole in it!
Around the OE round hole to clear the crankshaft boss,  so that you can install the rear crankshaft seal housing with the engine still on the stand.

And paint the now otherwise useless rear plate a distinctive colour, just in case!
John

• 5 years later...

Quoted from Matt306
[mem]Nick Jones[/mem] Nick did you have dimensions for your plate?

Err, I just found a bit of plate in the scrap bin and drilled some holes in it - see pic.  It's still holding an engine up (old vitesse short block) so I can measure if needed but it will depend on whether you engine stand is the same as mine.

Nick

Just spent all day installing the gearbox onto the engine, both out of the car which you'd think would make it easy.
Nope!   Took three goes to get the clutch plate lined up properly, ad that's with a proper alignment tool.

Had to take the block off the engine stand to get at the back.   It's hanging from an RSJ, on a leveller, so angle and height adjustable.
Trying to visualise if a fixed height block, with a bit of angle adjust, would be easier.

What do you do, Nick?
JOhn

As for fitting gearboxes to engines, when we fitted the Spitfire engine earlier this year, we didn't have the benefit of an engine crane so had to lift the engine in by hand.  Not such a problem with the 4 pot but it did mean putting the 'box on afterwards.

We'd centralised the clutch with a spare input shaft - so it was spot-on.  We'd trial-fitted the 'box to the engine on the floor and it went on with ease.  But would it fit in the car?  Would it hell - took about 20 minutes of faffing about and we KNEW it should go straight on!

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
I usually unite engine and box on the floor.......... but the side mounting of the engine to the engine stand means I can do this if I want........

That, Mr.Jones, is as showing off as standing up in a hammock!

Yes, a spare input shaft.  I did thnk of that, and I know I have a box of spare gearbox parts, but my only input shaft has the wrong number of splines.
Eventually, I got out my engineers square, and lined up the alignment tool using that, not merely by eye.
Three points around the clutch cover (it has triple symmetry, not double) and the same tiny angle between tool and square, and it slipped straight in.
John

Quoted from JohnD

That, Mr.Jones, is as showing off as standing up in a hammock!

John

I don't do that as I always land on my face when I fall off......  

Does demonstrate the versatility of side mounting the engine to the stand though! 🙂  Wasn't my idea mind - I copied someone else.

Nick