Bainzy

1381 wrote:
Found myself AGAIN caught out unexpectedly in thick fog out in the Spitfire tonight, this time was much worse and I could barely see 5m in front of me, less with full beam on. Not surprising given that I live right next to Ilkley Moor.

? [/i]

Youve got to get good ones though, one thing you must not do if using them on Ilkley Moor - buy tat

Aye, full beam is pointless in fog. As are those coloured lights which claim to cut through it better. All you end up doing is illuminating the same amount of water droplets in the air, but with more light which comes straight back at you. The reason for low dim lights is to illuminate the edges of the road (as has already been said). And the reason they work better is becasue fog gets thinner lower down.

I've thought about fitting them to the front and back of the Herald but never have done. At no point have I felt they'd be an advantage - I drive the car all year in all conditions.

And remember  to turn your rear fog lights on when its raining especially at night
I love playing the "are they fog or brake lights" up ahead game
And remember to turn them on when I am behind you stuck in the road works not moving !

And if you fit front fog lights make sure they are ajusted correctly
or are they just used for "looking at the driver" in the car/lorry comming the other way !

Being a night driver can you guess what gets my goat up ?

O yeh and remember if the sign sayes "junction closed follow diversion"
That does not mean stop(on the M1 at night) get out of your car and move the cone because it's in the way and you want get off the motor way,if the workmen tell you to stop just start a fight !.

Ps
I do need to fit a fog light to my herald,can I just take the feed from the rear side lights,and earth it via a illuminated(so I'll know they are on)switch

Hello Ferny,

as I said earlier, yes you do get more reflection back but you also can see further when there is an object in front of you. It takes a little acclimatising to as it's almost instinctive to go back to dip.  Don't dismiss it out of hand but try it properly.

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello Ferny,

as I said earlier, yes you do get more reflection back but you also can see further when there is an object in front of you. It takes a little acclimatising to as it's almost instinctive to go back to dip.  Don't dismiss it out of hand but try it properly.

Alec

Correctomundo Alec.

The extra glare is more than outweighed by the extra range of vison. Rally cars pretty much gave up on low level fogs at the end of the 70's and just fitted a couple of bumper mounted  Oscar driving lamps and called it done. It was a popular 'top tip' in C&CC at the end of the 70's and I've used it ever since and have never fitted low level front fogs.

On an old jag I had the fogs were on the light switch
Side ---head(dipped)-----fog(pull then another twist)
So you had to turn them off when you turned your lights off

On an old rover when you turned the engine off the fogs turned off which meant you could not leave them on,when you restarted the engine the lights were off and again if you wanted them on you had to turn them on until the engine was turned off

With modern tec it should  be that you have to turn them on each time you want them on until the engine is turned off,that way you know no one can forget or claim that they don't know what that tiny little light "thats always been on since I got the car" means !

piman wrote:
Hello My Lord,

" I thought that was the main reason they are fitted to most modern cars.2

Too many stylists and too few engineers.

Alec

Sorry but feel I need share something with those who are not in the industry of automotive OEM's stylists would do away with lights , exterior mirrors, etc and everthing else that spoils their lines.
The stylists job is to create a form a style to follow it is then the job of each of the parts of the cars engineering department engineers to design the cars functions and features. Then it is the job of whole vehicle engineering engineers to ensure that the what the design/stylists have proposed meets all the legal requirement and the internal requirements/goal of the company ie the fastest the smoothest or the best in class , etc or what ever the goal is. Now all this is going on at the same time and there are many departments I have not listed that work on the car aswell.

Marketing set the scope/requirement s of what is required on the vehicle as a standard car feature to allow the car to compete in the market and sell for it's asking price, they all so set what options should be offered and on what models they should have and what range of standard features and options should be offered.

Now the above is just a quick look at what goes on and is a lot more complicated in the real world and not ever car OEM has the same names for the above departments. But they do the same functions. :)

So please don't bash the stylists :)

Oh and all the above must meet the most important company requirement that is the cost of the total parts that make a car, the cost of the tooling , the cost of engineering the car, the cost of all testing the car both internal and external the selling price of the car and all options. This is the job of the finance department thats where my team and I come in as we set all targets up front and then tell each department what they have and police that spend. ;D ;D ;D

As for fog lights I understand  its a legal requirement to have a least one working one to the rear and a legal requirment to use it in thick fog or heavy snow under 100 meter vis. So if you have never used fog lights you A. a fool and B a law breaker :-/
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Commencement, citation and revocations

1.—(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 and shall come into force on 1st November 1989.

(2) The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1984(1) and the Road Vehicles Lighting (Amendment) Regulations 1987(2) are hereby revoked.

Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).
[law rvlr regs 25 & 27]

And they are hi vis secondary driving lights if fitted to the front of the car that you can/may also use in low vis conditions such as fog lights should you wish to that's what they are called in the industry. Modern driving lights lenses are designed in such a way as to cut through the fog at low level enabling you to see the curb and the white line and objects close in front to you.

If your car was built before a certain date, you are not legally obliged to have rear fog light (but a good idea if you drive in all weathers).
Rear fogs should ONLY be used when visibilty less than 100 metres, but as we all know that is a law that is ignored as much as motorway speed limits!

Fiesta Mk1 rear fog lights fit to the curve of the panel below the bumper, which look very neat and not like an "add on" job. The curve of that panel is very similar to rear panel on a Spitfire I believe.

I think front fogs do help (although as said above, in theory should only be used when really thick, in conjunction with side lights alone and not with headlights) but when I become Minister for Transport I will ban them altogether as they are more of a menace when they are used incorrectly.  :(

(oh dear, I have turned into a grumpy old man)  :'(

Archived