brake pipe's , LHD tandem setup

WIMPUS

hello ,

I've ordert recently a brake pipe kit from canley's ..

On the pwda valve you have a 3/8  and a bigger hole .. , but the bigger is for the front brakes (normally)..

Now when i want to connect the pwda to the brake master there is a problem ..

on the brake master the front brake pipe should be the closets to you and for the back the further's away .. is that correct ??  :o :-/

Hi,
never tried working on a dual system myself but here is a diagram from the factory manual for a 1978 Spit. This shows the US version, but some mirror imaging should probably do the trick. Next reply (Not enough attachment space) is the instructions for bleeding a dual system if you need them later! Pictures could be better but only had my phone around at the moment...

Cheers!

Has anyone found kits to replace the seals in the PDWAs? They're just O rings so presumably a brake repairer will be able to match them, but buying a kit would be easier. This is for the GT6 Mk3 PDWA, which looks just like the one in Wim's photo. It's not the same as the Stag PDWA.

The PDWA with the stub at one end uses round profile O-rings, which you can get at a hydraulics supply store.
Tell them they're going in a car, & they'll get you rings made of EPDM, which is the correct material which they know mainly as petroleum-resistant.
Take them an old ring to size, but I think it's
EPR EPDM Size 008 5/16OD x 3/16ID x 1/16W

The earlier PDWA wihich has a bolt at each end, & is the type originally fitted to my car but was superseded by the one with the stub on the end, used square-section O-rings which all suppliers seem unable to source.  I've seen that some people have said that the correct size in a round-section O-ring works fine for replacement.

Dang. My PDWA is the two-bolt variety and so requires the square-section O-rings.

At the risk of hijacking Wim's thread completely, I've also just started rummaging through a Canley Classics brake pipe kit. The plumbing diagram included says that the brake servo is plumbed in between the PDWA and the front brake pipe junction. I had thought it would go between the master cylinder and PDWA but apparently not. Makes sense I guess, but it means I'm gonna need some more brake lines!

• 2 weeks later...

In my haynes manual ( also a photo of earlier in the tread) it shows that the brake line for the front brakes must run from the pwda valve to the master cilinder and must me at the front connection , but as i take my old brake line's the pipe that runs from the valve is original conectet at the back connection( close to the window)  :-/

the pipe's in the kit are also make like the drawing in haynes .. :o

Kind regards Wim

4526 wrote:
In my haynes manual ( also a photo of earlier in the tread) it shows that the brake line for the front brakes must run from the pwda valve to the master cilinder and must me at the front connection , but as i take my old brake line's the pipe that runs from the valve is original conectet at the back connection( close to the window)  :-/

the pipe's in the kit are also make like the drawing in haynes .. :o

Kind regards Wim

Anyone??  :-/

here is my problem .. no 1 (pwda valve) goes to no 1 at the master cilinder (original at my spit)

But at the haynes it says otherwise .. and at the way my canley's kit is made its also like the haynes ..

Is it a problem if you mix there ? like 1(pwda) to no 2 (master cilinder) ??  :-/

i hope to get an answer  :P

Kind regards Wim

4526 wrote:
here is my problem .. no 1 (pwda valve) goes to no 1 at the master cilinder (original at my spit)

But at the haynes it says otherwise .. and at the way my canley's kit is made its also like the haynes ..

Is it a problem if you mix there ? like 1(pwda) to no 2 (master cilinder) ??  :-/

i hope to get an answer  :P

Kind regards Wim

Yes, I see the problem. If both cylinders in the tandem master cylinder are the same diameter then it shouldn't be a problem, as both will produce the same amount of braking force. But I don't know if the two are the same diameter. Have you contacted Canley Classics?

Otherwise, I think we're going to need our American friends' help. Guys?

Nick_Moore wrote:
Yes, I see the problem. If both cylinders in the tandem master cylinder are the same diameter then it shouldn't be a problem, as both will produce the same amount of braking force. But I don't know if the two are the same diameter. Have you contacted Canley Classics?

Otherwise, I think we're going to need our American friends' help. Guys?

just on the pwda there is a different diameter .. at the master cilinder there is 2 3/8 and at the pwda there is a 3/8 for the back and a bigger one for the front ..

I can bend the new pipes into the 2 places at the master cilinder ,not so tidy then but it works maybe then  :P

i hope you  understaind it  :o

and american friends ??  mine is not american  :P ;)

Ok, so the input threads on the PDWA are the Sam, but the front circuit's output thread is larger?

I was actually referring to the internal cylinder diameters in the master cylinder. Different diameters would mean different amounts of force being applied to the different circuits. I'm not about to strip mine down to check!

By American friends, I mean that the English cars had single circuit brakes and therefore no PDWA. The American cars did have tandem brakes, so their owners have had to fight this battle before.

Nick_Moore wrote:
Ok, so the input threads on the PDWA are the Sam, but the front circuit's output thread is larger?

I was actually referring to the internal cylinder diameters in the master cylinder. Different diameters would mean different amounts of force being applied to the different circuits. I'm not about to strip mine down to check!

By American friends, I mean that the English cars had single circuit brakes and therefore no PDWA. The American cars did have tandem brakes, so their owners have had to fight this battle before.

my master cilinder has rebuild by a mate his father .. so .. i don't know about it  :-/
the english had single line but round about 1980 it was tandem ( i read it somewhere)
Al the export (i think ) was tandem, i know al belgium cars where tandem line so ..
The european tandem and american tandem are not the same i have seen .. but the same pdwa :P

Nick_Moore wrote:

If it is of any help, I have just opened (to check) a UK spec dual circuit master cylinder seal kit and the pressure seals are the same outside diameter.

Gt6s wrote:

If it is of any help, I have just opened (to check) a UK spec dual circuit seal kit and the pressure seals are the same outside diameter.

ok thanks for the info , they are the same as mine  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a US LHD car from 1971. The rear of the master is for the rear brakes and front of the master for the front. Both lines just pass through the PDWA valve. Probably doesn't matter which is on which side. Mine is factory original. You can use round o-rings to repair a PDWA w/ original square washers. there's a writeup somewhere.

Archived