Electronic fuel pumps

npanne

One of the many things that came fitted to my Spitfire, but that eventually gave up the ghost, was an electronic fuel pump.
At the time I decided that I'd revert back to a mechanical pump whilst I was swapping the engine, but I've had no end of trouble with these - to cut a long story short, they leak, from everywhere (not the hose connections, but the different parts of the pump), and I'm not convinced that that are pumping fuel reliably, so I figured I'd just go back to an electronic pump.

Does anyone know what sort of fuel flow or Psi I need to aim for? Engine is 2.0 six, with HS6 SUs.

Also - whilst I think of it - is it better to remove the mechanical fuel pump and blank off the whole? Previous installation (not by me) had the old pump still in situ, just not plumbed to anything, but I guess this adds some small resistance to the engine, if nothing else?

thanks

Luckily I have an original mechanical one as from what I hear of the newer ones I am glad is still running well (touch wood)!

I had a look around a while ago at electric pumps just in case and, from research (and comments on here) it seemed this would be a good option. You've probably seen about the recommendation of fitting an inertia cut off switch too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3607.....e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Personally I'd blank it off but each to their own i guess.

I would would blank off the fuel pump hole after fitting an electric one and keep it in the boot as an emergency spare as I don't think it's a good idea running a pump dry.
I would also fit a regulator so you can set the pressure to what is best for your carbs. HS6 is probably going to be the same pressure as HS4 as it's the float valves that determine whats needed. I've got mine set for 1.5 lb.
I would also definitely fit an emergency cut off  for safety. Mine works on lack of oil pressure to cut off the pump, so I also fitted a priming switch so I can fill the float bowls if left standing a log while without having to keep the engine turning over to get oil pressure to make the pump work.
Electric pump was one of the best mods I have done.

I'm in the process of doing this myself due to vapour lock in hot weather.  I've made a blanking plate from a sheet of stainless steel that I found in work. On the point of new mechanical pumps, I bought one from x and it was complete and utter rubbish! Badly cast causing it to leak everywhere. A total POS! I returned it and then bought one from RB and it was a totally different beast. Well made and no leaks. But this summer I was having serious issues with vapour lock so will try an electronic one.

I bought one of the pumps in the above link. It says that you don't need a regulator? (I haven't fitted it yet so can't report how it runs...)

I had to add a electric pump as the manual one could not pump enough fuel for the 2.5 straight six and high speed. It used to get a misfire at about 95 which was not ideal. We confirmed this on a  rolling road. Now I have a Facet located next to the battery. I beleive it should be monuted by the pump it it seams to work ok. It should have a fuel regulator I beleive, but it doesn't .
It does make it alot easier to start and it seems to cope with any vapor lock situations too. I would recomend it,

Martin

I have a Facet Silver top pump in my 2.5 Vitesse running HS6 carbs too.Mounted in the boot next to the tank.
I have a Malpassi regulator in the engine bay mounted on the valance and an overide switch in the car.

No problems after three years.

I believe Huco pumps are an option and you don`t need a regulator.

Jigsaw sell blanking plates and gaskets for the mechanical pump if you cant make one.

Steve

Quoted from Spider
I had a Facet but the noise of it drove me mad so I fitted an SU pump from a Stag much quieter and have had no troubles even with the mechanical points.

I found the cube noisy on my A40 but not this one. I've mounted the pump on the chassis just below the tank and once the engine is running that's all I can hear.

Cheers Tim, would you be able to post a photo of it so I get an idea? I was going to weld up a bracket to mount my Huco on, using the studs on the block from the old pump to mount the bracket. I don't like drilling extra holes etc in bodywork or fittings so the car can easily be put back to standard in the future, should any other custodians wish to...

• 2 weeks later...

Quoted from RedRooster
I would keep it out of the engine bay altogether.
RR

Where else would you put it? These suction type pumps say to mount in the engine bay or near enough to the carbs. I wouldn't fancy it in the cabin? I would love to keep it away from heat as this whole exercise start out about keeping the fuel as cool as possible.