Mk1 Brake conversion to Stag brakes (Or Mk2)

thebrookster

Good day all,

Quick query. I am looking at upgrading my brakes after the MOT highlighted how worn my front pads are. I do have a set of NOS pads from Chris Witor, but they are the ones that don't quite fit properly (I need to shave the back of them in order to make them fit).

So I started thinking that maybe I should simply upgrade the brakes to the thicker discs, as I still have the original Mk1 setup. Perusal of here and Triumph register suggests I can go for either Stag or Mk2 setups, and it appears the Stag setup is cheaper long run.

However, I have seen suggestions that I may need to change parts such as hubs for these conversions? Can someone kindly give me a quick list of what parts I am looking for? If I can find some Stag calipers I shall go down that route, otherwise it might have to be the Mk2 setup.

Cheers,

Phil

Probably be ok, but I would wonder whether you want the extra stopping power of the Stag.

Personally I would just go for the MkII system, although I know the discs are dearer.

I wonder whether Stag discs could be reduced to the saloon diameter in a lathe (easily?), as I believe the diameter is the only difference between the two models.

Do you have 14"(+) wheels as the Stag calipers require this.

Aye, winter wheels are 14", and when I sort out the summer setup that will be a 15" rim.

TBH it was not so much the stopping power I was concerned about as more the cost of parts. Kind of felt that if I could lay my hands on a Stag setup it would be better than the Mk2 setup (more stopping power and cheaper parts), however it would appear that they are also to get hold off!

So maybe Mk2 setup will have to be the way forward.

What I have just now is borderline as it stands, OK for normal driving around but if I put a bit more spirit into my driving I start noticing limitations, and if and when I get around to EFI/Exhaust etc and increase the power an upgrade will be necessary. So it seemed that now was a good time to start sorting things out, as I am heading back to sea in a couple of weeks, so essentially have a couple of months in which to purchase the relevant stuff.

Cheers,

Phil

Alec - I likewise was intending on keeping the rear drums the same.

Still the same question - I take it I do need to do the hubs at the same time?

And another question - anyone got any suggestions as too where I can source things like callipers etc? Obviously I am keeping my eyes on ebay etc, but most traders these days want to do it on an exchange basis, and obviously I don't have exchange callipers in this instance! Surely someone somewhere must break and sell parts from dead cars??

Cheers,

Phil

How much would you want for a pair of the thin discs Dave? If I can run the car at near standard that would be nice. I've never had an issue on the brakes at all, and at the MOT the guy said he was amazed at how good they were...

I got about 5 sets of hubs and uprights etc, all of which needed servicing work. Sadly, I think there was only one pair of callipers out of all the knuckles etc.

Quoted from thescrapman
Yes you probably need to change the hubs, though some later ones do seem to crop up on earlier braking systems.

I will undoubtable have some later ones about.

As for finding Stag calipers, good luck!

I got a pair of Stag calipers on ebay for £16 recently… it's finding drums and everything else I need for the rear end that's proving problematic! Not to mention deciding what to do with the servo etc.

I put stag front brakes on the MK1 "Cairo Taxi" used MK2 hubs that I had kicking around,kept the MK1 rear drums for the decent manual adjusters, Mk2 servo and master ...bashed the inner wing in a bit to get it to fit  braided front  flex pipes worked a treat never had a balance issue,or diving front end etc- suspension worth considering when making braking upgrades as it all works together  .. Taxi was  MK2 ARB,front dampers were spax with a CW progressive spring,rears were Koni classics with a 475 spring, (standard height) 14" wheels 175/65 Continentals superflex all round...all seemed to work really well for fun everyday day use ..oh and MK2 trailing arms with MK2 "Datsun" drive shafts ..and a CW "quick rack"

Quoted from Matt George

I got a pair of Stag calipers on ebay for £16 recently… it's finding drums and everything else I need for the rear end that's proving problematic! Not to mention deciding what to do with the servo etc.

If you need a Stag servo they are two a penny over here (same as dual circuit 2000/2500) Then you just need a new Stag M/C.

I can supply for free + postage

I also have a contact for stag brake bits a bit closer to home PM me if interested!

On a slight thread drift sorry in advance  ..The basildon banger seems to have a Russian (brake)master cylinder on it! could be TUV group ..it works but wanted to get it some new seals "incase" or a new standard master flicking through flea bay noticed a Land Rover master that looks a bit like the "Russian" one the seller claims will fit a 2000 MK2 ..Anybody used one of these land rover ones ?

Quoted from Shed 1969
I put stag front brakes on the MK1 "Cairo Taxi" used MK2 hubs that I had kicking around,kept the MK1 rear drums for the decent manual adjusters, Mk2 servo and master ...bashed the inner wing in a bit to get it to fit  braided front  flex pipes worked a treat never had a balance issue,or diving front end etc- suspension worth considering when making braking upgrades as it all works together  .. Taxi was  MK2 ARB,front dampers were spax with a CW progressive spring,rears were Koni classics with a 475 spring, (standard height) 14" wheels 175/65 Continentals superflex all round...all seemed to work really well for fun everyday day use ..oh and MK2 trailing arms with MK2 "Datsun" drive shafts ..and a CW "quick rack"

I have MkII ARB, progressive CW front springs and Konis, 575 rears with Konis. 15" wheels 195/65 and GKN Rilsan-coated shafts. Reckon this will all work well with Stag calipers, MkII drums, servo and master cyl?

Cheers in advance 🙂

Quoted from Matt George
Cheers guys, will bear that in mind. So to utilise the Stag calipers then I do need to fit a Stag master cyl and servo? Is this simple enough on the MkII? Likewise, will I suffer imbalance if I stick with the MkII drums rather than Stag ones?

Matt

Pondering the same questions myself just now Matt!

From my wanderings around the internet over the last couple of hours I seem to have concluded that on my setup the original Mk1 Master Cyl and Servo will work, but give me a longer pedal, though there may be methods to reduce this.

What I am currently trying to find out is what system is better? Single line or dual line? Can anyone give a succinct Pro/Con list of the two?

The other issue that you have also identified is a potential imbalance between front/rear. Again, I have not found anything definitive on this, other than references to it on various forums. I have found references to various people running the Mk1 rears with upgraded fronts due to keeping the manual adjuster, but I think this was in relation to using the Mk2 setup?

Cheers,

Phil

Hello Phil,

for what it's worth I used a Mk 2 master cylinder/servo which has worked well for me. (I had to make up a spacer for the clutch master and extend the clutch push rod to do this, as there is not enough room otherwise)

On the subject of single or dual line, I stuck with single line. My feeling that using copper brake lines and stainless braided hoses there is little chance of a leak developing.

Alec

For everybody thinking of putting stag brakes on the saloon, I recently did this for someone and put it on the brake rollers at mot station. No difference on thr fronts to the mk 2 setup on my mk1 estate. The rears were worse than standard mk1 on the rollers by quite a bit which did surprise me.
Stag calipers are hard to get hold of now, especially l/h ones for some reason

Cheers Andy