GT6 Door replacement

dimtavies

My MK2 has a pretty had it drivers door, most of the bottom is missing or consists of filler, I will consider taking it off and seeing if anything can be done with it, but I don't think it is viable

I do have a MK3 Spitfire empty door shell that was from a dry climate and is totally solid, has anyone replaced their GT6 door with a Spitfire one, I can see the quarter light fitting is an issue, and wondering how you resolve that and are there other problems ?

I believe the Mk3 Spitfire door shell is identical to the Mk2 GT6. The extra holes for attaching the quarter light frame were just unused on the Spitfire. So you should be able to transfer all the innards of your rotten GT6 door into the good Spitfire shell and be a happy camper.

Very unfortunate, and flaming typical,

I know everything can be got round but I was not wanting to fart about more than I would have to, the door is original which is annoying, not much chance of finding another that does have the right oles so will have to figure it out

Quoted from byakk0
Just re-skin it.

I assume you mean re-skin the "pretty had it driver's door" that's currently on the car, because I can't see how a re-skin would fix the lack of fixing holes in the frame of the spare. If so, surely it rather depends how "had it" the door is. If it's badly gone along the bottom of the frame then... it's still repairable but not easy. The one in my photo had been repaired - see http://six-old-cars.livejournal.com/24746.html

Any chance of some photos of that door, dimtavies?

I don't have the skills or equipment to do bodywork repairs, the door frame itself needs rebuilding, there is little left along the bottom before a skin can be put on, anything is repairable given enough time or money, I am sure this one could be done one way or the other, but not by me atm.

Because I had the solid door tucked away it seemed a more straightforward job, I can paint ok fit it, but looking at the two pictures the positioning of the holes looks like it will be a tad more awkward on the one I have, the large hole has a flatter corner to allow for the lower bracket hole

True. I guess I wasn't thinking about the condition of the frame itself. I have seen a fair amount rusted out at the bottom. Guess I lucked out and the doors (the frames that is) are virtually the one item on my car that had very little rust, and nothing serious at that.

Quoted from RobPearce

I assume you mean re-skin the "pretty had it driver's door" that's currently on the car, because I can't see how a re-skin would fix the lack of fixing holes in the frame of the spare. If so, surely it rather depends how "had it" the door is. If it's badly gone along the bottom of the frame then... it's still repairable but not easy. The one in my photo had been repaired - see http://six-old-cars.livejournal.com/24746.html

Any chance of some photos of that door, dimtavies?