Rear exhaust mounting suggestions?

James1500

the time has come to refit the backboxes after replacing the boot floor on my spit, originally the mounting rubbers were bolted through the flange of the boot floor (where it meets the rear valance) which caused the exhaust to foul the body, I saw on the parts catalogue that rear mounting brackets were available, they look as if they bolt to the floor somewhere (three faces, three holes) and would make the exhaust sit slightly lower. Does anyone have any pictures of their exhausts for reference? its a twin system (wheelbarrow? :P) any help appreciated  :)

James
I have the twin system and used a length of reinforced rubber strap (got a length of it from local exhaust place) bolted to flange using a plate on inside of boot to spread load a bit then set the exhausts to correct height on a jack and cut the strap to correct length. Sits nice and close to the body but doesn't foul and gives loads of ground clearance.

Hi James

I did exactly the same as Dicky - set the height using a jack and then make up hanging straps to suit.  The tops of the straps are bolted through the vertical bit where the boot floor joins the rear valence, and I welded an extra plate into this area when rebuilding the car to spread the load of the exhausts bouncing around - this may be overkill but it was a easy thing to do while the valence was off.  The upstream side of the silencers are secured to straps hanging from the front of the diff.

hope this helps.

bodders1

I originally had bobbins on the old exhaust that went through the floor but they were bolted vertically (i.e. at 90' to your picture).
I have had no problems with the exhaust height. I have to be very careful on speed humps but they are still perfectly passable.

Also, I get let off the ferry first becuase they load me last!

Agree with last 2 - bobbins at back are best way to get the exhaust as high as possible.

My Pheonix is set up per Charlie's diagram and over the winter I've added a mount to the diff Plate.

Had to regularly change the rear bobbin (i.e. every 6 months or so) before fitting the diff mount but it all looks very secure now - don't expect problems.

Even with the silencer as high as possible it still makes contact with the road every now and again.....

Where is the best place to get a twin back box set up from and what is the average cost?. . This would be for a MK3 Spit

Does anyone have a reasonably priced recommendation?

I will have a look at the usual places dealers, ebay etc.. but if anyone knows of a reliable supplier this would provide a good starting point.

1027 wrote:
Where is the best place to get a twin back box set up from and what is the average cost?. . This would be for a MK3 Spit...

Although I have a twin system on my Spit (with additional centre box) & it looks great, it's still a bit noisy. If I was doing it again I think I'd fit either the single Phoenix system shown in the link or a Maniflow system which I've heard are more civilised.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPITFIRE-GT6-PHOENIX-SPORTS-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-NEW_W0QQitemZ230419190628QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a60dd364

i recently went from a twin box to a single box (the pheonix one linked to above) and dont regret it. i cant honestly say theres a massive change in noise level, but my twin box wasnt 'off the shelf'. i am glad i changed though.

i might go get some pics, i cant remember how i mounted it or what the clearance is like.

Neil McDonnell - as mentioned, mine is fitted to a mk3, so i can get a pic of what one looks like with the single box. i got mine from canley's, and they nicely sorted me out with the best fitting kit, which i think was from a vitesse, and even went as far as opening the fitting kit, removing a vitesse specific gasket, and deducting the price of the gasket !

good times.

Fizzy, some pics would be great if poss. the box I have on the car now does the job and doesn`t sound to bad - just doesn`t look the best.

I would only be changing it for the looks (think the twin box set up looks really good)

but looking at the single Phoenix system which i havent seen before this also looks very impressive.

Might just take the twin pipes of the motorbike and fit them, the bikes useless in this weather anyway!!!

Neil M

Firstly, thankyou for all the suggestions and pictures, the bobbin idea looks to be the best (was that factory set up? ) but I'd have to alter the exhausts again, what about using the hanging rubbers further up the boot flange in order to raise the height?

James1500 wrote:
...was that factory set up?

No, there was a bracket welded to the floor & then a strap bolted to the bracket & to the exhaust. The standard exhaust is over to the right hand side so the bracket is no good for a twin system. Dont forget the diff mounting, here you should be able to use the standard bits to attach one leg of the Y piece.
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005644

here's some pics of mine. its the pheonix system from canleys with a vitesse fitting kit. its probably not the best way to fit the exhaust, but it works, looks alright, and i dont have any ground clearance problems, ever. other than if one of my 'larger' mates is in the car and were in the multi-storey. i could park somewhere else, but it wouldnt sound as good ;D. you will notice it doesn't sit in the middle, which is shame. i assume its because the pipe has to bent round the diff. it almost put me off buying the exhaust, but, as i was told, you dont really notice it too much. i probably could have lifted it a bit more if i bent the mounting bracket at more of a right angle, but it doesn't bother me. and yes, i know i need to get rid of that stupid massive shiny washer, or at least paint it.

to be honest, i still think 2 pipes look better, but one pipe is cheaper, lighter, and a bit quieter. these were my old pipes that i made:

bolted through the boot floor with a rather over-engineered bracket, they had less ground clearance and were very noisy (but sounded sweet), and were only mild steel. i think they look better than the single though, but thats opinion. the onyl problem with them was i backed into a kerb and it pushed the pipes into the valance, leaving a small ding and cracked paint.

Archived