6 Branch Tubular Exhaust Manifold

lgoedert

I've no personel experiecne of one of these Manifolds but have read that the 6 into 3 into 1 Manifold flows much better and gives increases in power and torque when used in conjunction with other modifications, i.e. modified cylinder head, larger Carbs and performance camshaft.

It really depends on how far you want to go and how much you have to spend with tuning?

Do a search on this site there is pleanty of good advice and I'm sure someone on this site will have used one of these manifolds?

Regards

Gary

Dear Gary

my manifold and complete exhaust system was of no use anymore, the manyfold had a crack in it.
Yesterday i wanted to install the manifold but on the left side, the first tube is about 4milimeters too far to the right in order to fit....

My tuning is already done with a 2liter engine in a vitesse from 1965.

It looks like your manifold is incorrectly manufactured?

All I can suggest is you contact Rimmers to discuss, they're a reputable company so should be able to exchange for a manifold that fits.

It looks like another case of poor quality parts :-/

Regards

Gary

The build on most of the stainless offerings is variable, to say the least. Mine (a 6-3-1 Phoenix unit) was an absolute s0d to fit as one of the primaries comes out far too close to the stud - so close in fact that the nut doesn't have room to turn (one of the flats is pressed against the manifold), let alone get a socket on there. I can also see from dry-assembly that I'm going to have problems with the 3-1 joint as it's not tight enough to seal, but there's not room to get a clamp on it.

The pic at the top of this thread is of course not a 6-3-1 but a 6-2-1 which a completely different fish kettle.  The first can take advantage of scavenging AKA interference to optimise extraction of exhaust gases.  The second is no better than a cast manifold.

Even then the primary length is critical.  They must all be the same and the longer the lower the revs at which it will resonate.   From memory 17ins gives a peak at three to four K.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Not really.....

There is a gap in the market between the £400 ish ones that are not a great design and tend to be a very poor fit (though you can get lucky) and the very nice ones that are over £ 1k.

I'm also of the view that while you shouldn't expect the best design or highest quality materials at the cheap end, they should at least fit.  If they don't, they are not fit for purpose.

Nick

redoxideVit wrote:

Thats why there aren`t any decent ones being made in any numbers,because people think a well made peice of kit that actually works should cost pennies.
S

..I think the point I was making was that it seemed to have realised quite a good price for the vendor, before Christmas. Given that it had storage surface corrosion, was up to about 30yrs. old - no warranty etc. In other words it's not as though it had been bought new from a trader....
I'm sure it was worth the money - I've heard of Mike 'the pipe' Randall - but there was no confirmation that it was his handiwork.
I concede that due to financial penury I have to run my dear little Herald on the most meagre of budgets, but am proud that she is able to now sport a 'stainless' exhaust....
Were my financial situation better, i would not baulk at spending anything on her...in fact I've had to get a steering column joint replaced (upgraded UJ type) as the previous one (from a reputable trader) did about 6-6.5k miles & 18months!! I'm therefore well aware that paying for quality saves money in the long run...........

Can`t disagree with Nicks point about the current offering being not fit for purpose sometimes.

The rear collector pipe on my one pointed to the ground when fitted for the first time,when i contacted the well known supplier they asked me to get the car there and they would cut and weld it,as they were 100 miles away this wasn`t really feasible so i did it myself.I suppose i should have rejected it as NFFP.

The one on e bay may or may not be Mike Randalls work,it is definitely of his type though with decent sand bends and proper joints,i have a Saloon version of his which i am selling soon,its a quality piece of work.

I cant wait to get rid of my Phoenix 6-3-1.
Steve

• 3 weeks later...