Thoughts on European travel in a post-COVID world anyone?

I know it's a long way off and I know Europe generally hasn't yet made the vaccine progress the UK has but what are people's thoughts on travelling into Europe next year? I'm interested for the sake of the 10CR but also for other trips planned. My folks have a place in France that they were virtually living in but retreated back to the UK when restrictions came and have not been able to get back out there. I also had a route to follow some of the World Cup Rally route that I was planning with a few mates but that was canned for this year.

I'm in no hurry to go abroad until virus is under control, not particularly from a safety perspective just that the local authorities and services have enough to cope with without me galivanting all over their countryside for pure pleasure. Don't get me wrong, as soon as it's safe, legal and I can enjoy it, I'll be back up the mountains, mispronouncing foreign names, speaking pigeon German to try and buy a battery for a Triumph from a farm machinery repair shop or trying to repair an overdrive solenoid at 2am in a car park whilst some trucker negotiates with a lady for a service nearby - happy days!

We are playing a "wait-n-see" strategy at the moment, but miss taking the overnight ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge. If things return to "normal" by late summer 2022 I think we'll be taking the Spitfire for a run down to Northern Italy and back. We might go sooner, but I doubt it. Hoping to get a trip to Vienna in again some time, but that'll be a flight, haven't got the time to drive that route!

• Like 1

Travelling around Europe is getting easier, slowly. To start with you have to be allowed in, let alone go between different countries and then watch out for local movement restrictions in each country and even between areas in the same country.

I think you would be allowed into France with less restrictions from the 9th June, for instance. The timetable for the lifting of restrictions here is in 3 more stages. The important ones for you would be bars & restaurants 😁 and curfew times.

By the 9th June, here in France, the curfew should be at 23h00, restaurants & bars max 6 per table inside & outside open. Hotels are open, and have been, and will be able to open their restaurants to hotel clients from the 19th May.

To be honest I would suggest that any plans you make for this year can easily be cancelled in case . . 

• Like 1

You will need a passport (if you come from outside the EU) and costs for things like mobile phone and mobile data might change... as far as the COVID rules as said it is all changing and evolving but I reckon by next year (2022) things will more or less be back to normal...

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

costs for things like mobile phone and mobile data might change..

Yes now the UK is out of the EU phone companies no longer have to maintain the same charges as you move about the EU, so yes they are almost certain to increase.

2022 will be fine and back to normal. Unless . . . 

• Like 1

We are planning to go to Ligurien in Italy from 4 June. Of course getting there is much easier and shorter from Germany than it is from the UK. I understand that a proof on innoculation ( both jabs) will be required to both trravel through Switzerland and then into Italy itself- Looking foreward to the trip which will be the first long one since my Herald has had its new Crank installed. Have been making some local round trips and short Autobahn high speed trials to test its reliability.

Ich freue mich, sono contenta

• Like 1

Personally, I can't see my age group getting both jabs before winter. I've not had one yet despite being stuck in a crowded classroom with students aged 16-18 - the main spreaders.

I was meant to be doing a trek in the Sahara at Easter and climbing Mount Toubkal in July and they all obviously got cancelled. Finding out that it wasn't going to happen destroyed me mentally as I'd booked them a year ago after covid forced other events to be binned. I'm on the cusp of booking a Mont Blanc climb for next year but don't have much confidence in it being able to go ahead. Not at least until we see how autumn and winter goes this time.

Europe might be OK to visit soon, but many other places won't be. A few of us befriended some of the porters when we did Kilimanjaro and hearing their stories of government encouraged herbs to protect them from covid has been heartbreaking. We were hearing this first hand as international news was reporting mass graves being filled at night to hide it from the locals. I would assume there's a lot of similar going on in the developing world.

12 hours ago, ferny said:

I was meant to be doing a trek in the Sahara at Easter and climbing Mount Toubkal in July and they all obviously got cancelled. Finding out that it wasn't going to happen destroyed me mentally as I'd booked them a year ago after covid forced other events to be binned. I'm on the cusp of booking a Mont Blanc climb for next year but don't have much confidence in it being able to go ahead. Not at least until we see how autumn and winter goes this time.

Wow, that's just sh1t @ferny, having adventures like that cancelled. 😞