interior lights

WIMPUS

4526 wrote:
hi!

i like to install footwell lights at my spitfire ( going to put led strips )
but now i've seen that the right door switch only operates the right original light.. and the left ....

how to do it best ?  :-/

I'm impressed, I've not had a Spitfire yet with a working footwell light!!

If you have the door switch, then it should be a simple job to wire in some lights. Take a fused outlet from the battery, run the cable to the switch, then to the lights, and then back to battery. Off hand I have no idea if LED prefers parallel or series wiring, or if it matters, but a quick google will solve that.

Then, if you wanted to become really fancy, you could wire in a timed relay so the lights remain on for 15secs after door closing, maybe a second switch on the dash......... Plenty of possibilities there.

My only observation here is to use yellow LED's instead of white, unless you want a really hard, industrial look.  Yellow LED's are closer to the warm light color of incandescent bulbs.  If you're assembling your own LED arrays, you might consider using mostly yellow with a white LED here & there in the array.

I've got switches in my doors, but if I put a bulb in either holder they just don't turn off! Nothing physically wrong with the switches either, by rod-snapper would probably prefer it if she could see approximately what she was doing when trying to strap into the Spitfire in the dark, so I'll probably copy what you do Wim :)

3122 wrote:
I've got switches in my doors, but if I put a bulb in either holder they just don't turn off! Nothing physically wrong with the switches either, by rod-snapper would probably prefer it if she could see approximately what she was doing when trying to strap into the Spitfire in the dark, so I'll probably copy what you do Wim :)

my original lights work fine , but i find it a nice look those footwell lights ..
But i'm going to make them that is can make them work with the door switches , or constant , or off (off/ON/off switch)  :-/
i'm going to put a led strip in the boot also ( because is have no night there..)

and maybe put something behind the seat's ( you know the area ) but that is only going to be turned off/on by a switch  ;)

Sooo that's my plan for now  ;D you will see when it's finished  ;) :P

thebrookster wrote:
I was just thinking that I hope I don't come across him on a future RBRR or whatever at night.

Just imagine coming around a corner at 3 in the morning to see him parked in a layby with that lot lit up, give you a heart attack!!

Nice job, I have to say!!

;D ;D

thanks ! i found out that 1 small light it not enough so ..  ;)

Look fantastic, nice job Wim.

Sorry I missed your question earlier, for the old ones I just unscrewed the bulbs as I think they look better without the original ones lighting as well.

By the way is it just me or are the wires coming out of the LED strips way too delicate? I've already broken 2 :(

1381 wrote:
Look fantastic, nice job Wim.

Sorry I missed your question earlier, for the old ones I just unscrewed the bulbs as I think they look better without the original ones lighting as well.

By the way is it just me or are the wires coming out of the LED strips way too delicate? I've already broken 2 :(

The wires on my led strips are very thin, not broken one yet.
Just need to wire them up for good in the boot area :P
And thanks for givin me the idea to use led strips as footwell lights.

4526 wrote:

The wires on my led strips are very thin, not broken one yet.
Just need to wire them up for good in the boot area :P
And thanks for givin me the idea to use led strips as footwell lights.

i've just have seen that 3 led's in the led strip does'nt work  :-/ i got some extra so  :P

796 wrote:
I put a light in my glove box bit,
seems a more practicle thing, as I noo can find stuff int dark

So why  not wire a light in yours too,!!

M

that's was one of my plan's also  ;D , going to put the original lights in the glove box  ;)