Lucas Spot/Fog Lights

WIMPUS

GTRoger wrote:
Wim,

I've got these, Hella FF spotlights. Gives plenty of extra light when needed. Made them on a detachabale bracket as I don't think it makes the car look better.

And how did you wire them up ?
I've been looking at those Hella FF50's
Seems you made a bracket that holds the 2 spot's and that is bolted to the holes for the original numberplate mounting. right ?  :P

Well i've maybe got a plan  :P

I'm going to steal the idea of GTRoger (sorry for that !), so i need to make a bracket ..
Then i'm going to make or buy a sort of classic panel so i can mount a switch & old style signal light in it .
And just get a feed from the battery.. or maybe best to put in a relais.
And all needs to be made so it can come off for the MOT (Keuring) or wire it up good in the summer  ;)

Now got a small question..
I've already put 2 6mm wires to the front, one for normal lights & one for high beam ..
Can i use 1 wire for high beam & normal lights ?
I've been thinking normal light & high beam is something like 20 A in total (halogen headlights)
So i know we use the 6mm wires for home use up to 32A ! Don't know about the electrics in cars  :-/

And then i can use the other 6mm wire for the spots only..

Anyone got some idea's ?  :P

4058 wrote:
Don't they make nice small L.E.D. Spot lamps now? As you see many drivers, driving with them on and they are bloody bright!

You could get some modern ones Wim, won't look out of place under the bumper (a bit like roger's)
unlike those big old ones.

Well i'm thinking about those like Roger ! ;D
Hella FF50 and seems not to expensive also .

Well been looking for FF50's ..
Cheapest i could find on ebay was this ..

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/HELLA-FF50-Fernscheinwerfer-Set-Scheinwerfer-FF-50-/160554641259?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item2561cd676b&_uhb=1

Around a good 60euro/ 50 £ for the set ..
or can someone find them cheaper ?  :P

Going to measure up how much metal i need and go after it and maybe weld a bracket up  ;)

4526 wrote:
Now got a small question..
I've already put 2 6mm wires to the front, one for normal lights & one for high beam ..
Can i use 1 wire for high beam & normal lights ?
I've been thinking normal light & high beam is something like 20 A in total (halogen headlights)
So i know we use the 6mm wires for home use up to 32A ! Don't know about the electrics in cars  :-/

And then i can use the other 6mm wire for the spots only..

Anyone got some idea's ?  :P

I *think* the functionality of the Spit dip/beam switch is either dip or main, except when you flash and then it gives you both. (What's the point in switching dip off for just a short time) Of course, my 35-year old switch might be malfunctioning  :) but that's what it seems to do.

In any case, it sounds as though you would have to put a relay next to your headlights. Then you could use the spots wire to activate the relay. Something like that? Hostile environment for a relay - make sure it's sealed!

Richard

3314 wrote:

I *think* the functionality of the Spit dip/beam switch is either dip or main, except when you flash and then it gives you both. (What's the point in switching dip off for just a short time) Of course, my 35-year old switch might be malfunctioning  :) but that's what it seems to do.

In any case, it sounds as though you would have to put a relay next to your headlights. Then you could use the spots wire to activate the relay. Something like that? Hostile environment for a relay - make sure it's sealed!

Richard

Between my front headlights there are already relais (otherwise the original switch would burn out), so one more is not going to be a problem.

But need to take a look how i'm going to wire them up and put fuses between them (like i did with the feed of the headlights & put fuses  for each headlight ) ;)

junkuser wrote:
Surprising range of prices on Ebay.

$75 US seems the cheapest.

There is a price variation, but!!!
my friend bought a intercooler for his land rover from America, yes it was cheaper than anywhere else! Until they whacked him with import tax!
A lot of people forget about that!

And they seem to not take into account the cost of the item you bought, I.e. the tax is nearly as much as the item.

4058 wrote:

There is a price variation, but!!!
my friend bought a intercooler for his land rover from America, yes it was cheaper than anywhere else! Until they whacked him with import tax!
A lot of people forget about that!

And they seem to not take into account the cost of the item you bought, I.e. the tax is nearly as much as the item.

My brother had the same with his new inlet manifold and the weber carb's he bought ..
The postman was at our door asking for 200 pounds for tax !  :-/

junkuser wrote:
Actually the price was in US Dollars but the supplier was in Germany for that particular set of lamps, so relatively close to Wim.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-FF-50-spotlight-set-driving-lights-incl-mounting-brackets-and-H7-bulbs-/360762076737

I've looked at the ebay link and on one of my previous posts is said it was something like 50 pounds/60 euro for a pair ..
Well that link is from the same seller and the ones on your ebay thing are around 16 pounds more expensive ..

But i think i will got for the ones he sells for 50 pounds (incl shipping !)  :)

But first things first .. need to fix the brakes on my spit tomorrow morning ! :p
Then will see ..

ferny wrote:
Not true. If Steve was in full action and coming towards you you'd be able to see is rear numberplate. (whistle)

Ferny just won't let me forget this little tiny slip up........................................ :P :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6jE_scDSqc

My Dad used to have a set of Lucas Square 8 lights on the front of his Mk4 Spitfire:

Pic was taken August 25th, 1978. He says they were really bright and effective. Looks like they were attached to the lower overrider bolt looking at that photo, probably the most aesthetically pleasing place to put them.