How much should new wings cost me?

James

Having been cleared that I can set about improving my car a little bit every year - my focus has turned to the front wings. The driver side is quite shabby around the edges - it's been filled and is now starting to fall apart a little bit.

So how should I expect to pay for each side? Including paint etc etc

(I know this is a little bit of a pie in the sky question as there could be evil things lurking underneath - but ball park figures are fine)

I should probably sort out the dent in the nose cone too.

Well it's £200 to buy a front wing (less you can get one cheaper or a repair section), £100 - £150 to paint the panel, how many hours to do a wing 8- 10? £25 an hour, £30 an hour?

Bear in mind you've got to do the inner wing repairs. The bigger the job, the less work involved (in some ways) as the areas over-lap. Especially if you do some of the stripping yourself, lights, bumper, grill, (radiator etc if required).

I'd guesstimate £1250 - £1750 for both wings, nose, front valence repairs.  

ps and if you are having the wings off you should really do the outer sills as the wing has to be cut to do the sills. Anything less is a false economy. :-/

and I'm sure someone will pipe up with "but my mate 'all do it for 500 quid no questions".   :X

Fitchett's have many NOS front wings as do Earl Parts who now have a web site with actual useful stuff on it including a Triumph parts catalogue! http://www.earlpart.co.uk/Catalogue%20triumph.pdf frankly I am amazed :-)

thescrapman wrote:
Fitchetts have NOS for £150, but they have surface rust.

Chris Witor has them for £200, and they don't have surface rust.

Colin

Then take the 150 quid ones and save twice. All 40 year old 'new' panels will need some pretty thorough surface prep, for which read blasting, or acid etch. You are going to have to pay out for that anyway so why buy the dearer wing? That 40 plus year old primer is hiding all sorts of nasties underneath so it has to be removed.

Guaranteed to find at least one pair of MKI front wings at nearly every auto-jumble, they are as common as muck, and the traders know it. If you have your bargaining head on it's odds on you can get them for around a hundred notes apiece at the close of play if you wap your wad under his nose.

Slimboyfat wrote:
Guaranteed to find at least one pair of MKI front wings at nearly every auto-jumble, they are as common as muck, and the traders know it. If you have your bargaining head on it's odds on you can get them for around a hundred notes apiece at the close of play if you wap your wad under his nose.

Well I can personally say that I not seen mk1 wings at the autojumbles I been too  :(...............................perhaps I in wrong neck of woods

Jason wrote:
Fitchett's have many NOS front :-)

Most if not all the NOS MKI front wings in circulation today owe there existence to Tony Fitchett. He told me that he bought two containers full of them originally one of which he immediately weighed in and got his money back for the two. However he judged the market spot on because 30 years later he's still got stock.

LEE_GODFREY wrote:
Well done Richard......................hows the ears?...................lol...pictures? is it the damson one?

Yes it's the Damson one, I'll post some pictures when it sees the light of day.

Ears fine, missus fine. She said "the only reason she was'nt saying no was because it was a MkI PI Estate and she knows how long I've wanted one".

She also said "I have to finish the sills on her MkII Estate and finish my MkII PI Saloon before I start on it"!

Archived